Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#90753  by bones

CNW has cab signals(ATC) and ATS.
BN has cab signals.

The F40C's had no cab signal equipment at all.

#90763  by MetraF40C607

Which is exactly why they can only run on MILW, because they have neither ATS or Cab Signals.

#91079  by bones

Also the F40C's were never owned by Metra. They were owned by the Northwest Suburban Mass Transit Dist. They were bought for the Milwaukee Road, so therefore they are restricted to the Milw Dist.

#91130  by Joe

bones wrote:Also the F40C's were never owned by Metra. They were owned by the Northwest Suburban Mass Transit Dist. They were bought for the Milwaukee Road, so therefore they are restricted to the Milw Dist.
Darn weird rules that still are effective even after MILW doesn't exist anymore...

#91152  by byte

Rules like that aren't all that uncommon in commuter/rapid transit operations, whoever can cough up the funding for the rolling stock gets preference as to where it gets used. Another example: The CTA 2200s were purchased, and are still owned, by the city of Chicago, not the CTA. That's why those cars have only been run on expressway median lines since they were built, since the city also paid for those to be built.

#91195  by MikeF

Joe wrote:Darn weird rules that still are effective even after MILW doesn't exist anymore...
But the NWSMTD still exists ...

#91199  by Scotty Burkhardt

Why have they ventured on to SWS and NCS then??

Granted the SWS move was during a blizzard, but NCS saw 606 and 614 for seemingly no reason.

While on that subject, I've seen WSMTD (7100's) cars on EVERY line except RI and the Electric. If the above was true, why would they be on any other line other than the former Burlington Northern? The 7100's dominate HC and SWS trainsets and UP has a ton of them too.

#91274  by metra 613

have anyone see 611 or 614 at all i havent see them on the north line since firday

#91304  by F40CFan

I've never seen a 7100 series coach on the MILW-West.

#91328  by bones

UP does not have 7100's. They do have 7200's.

#91329  by bones

The only time the F40C's have wandered off MILW rails was in emergencies.