Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#89377  by metra 613

From what someone told me that works at metra 611 and 614 will be ruuning for a long time but who know what metra going to do it will be nice to keep them running :-D

#89379  by AmtrakFan

Can they run on the BN line? If they did it would be nice.

John

#89412  by MikeF

AmtrakFan wrote:Can they run on the BN line?
Why would they? The Milwaukee District is short of power, not the BNSF.

#89437  by byte

I'm thinking that six-axle passenger power might not be suited to the BNSF line, because six motors rather than four means slower acceleration, and the corridor the Aurora trains run through gets really busy during rush hour. It would be feasible, yeah, but the engineers might prefer four axles because it would be harder to keep a schedule with six.

#89502  by F40CFan

The F40Cs accelerate much better than the 4-axle MP36s. In addition to the extra axles, they also have 2 more traction motors.

#89567  by metrarider

F40CFan wrote:The F40Cs accelerate much better than the 4-axle MP36s. In addition to the extra axles, they also have 2 more traction motors.
Any new(er) passenger locomotive is slower off the line (up to about 15mph) due to slower loading account emissions controls. However, I'd bet that the MP36 will out accelerate the F40C's once above 15mph.

Also, I'm not sure what the actual HP output of the F40C's is now, but it's certainly much less than their rated HP after years of use, whereas the MP36's should be generating their rated HP.

And bear in mind that the MP36 has most of the same guts as a F40, and I'd bet most failures (excepting the snow in traction motors) are related to computer monitoring, and these will work themselves out as software upgrades are applied.

Also, bear in mind all new design locomotives go through a period of low initial reliability as they work out the kinks.

#89604  by bones

The 400's are slow getting out of town until about 20mph, then they haul ass.
The F40C's and F40PH's are quicker until about 15mph. The 400's are overall faster than anything else we have.

The F40C is the slowest of all because they have 6 traction motors. The F40PH is a little quicker because they have 4 traction motor, and then the 400's are the quickest.

#89622  by F40CFan

Bones, I'm curious, why would extra motors cause a locomotive to be slower? I heard somewhere that you want 6 axles for power and 4 for speed, but I never understood why.

#89681  by bones

With a six motor unit you have 1 main gen powering 6 motors, with an F40PH, or a Geep, you're only powering 4 motors, which makes them faster getting out of town. An SD, or F40C will be slower, but will have better pulling power.

Case in point, a GP40, or GP50 is a good unit for a hotshot pig train because they haul ass. An SD40 or better is suitable for a unit train.

Actually 6 motors is overdoing it for passenger service. You really only need 4 to get the job done. The only 6 motor passenger units I can think of are the H24-66, SD9, F40C, SDP40, SDP45, FP45 SDP40F, U28CG, U30CG, and the U34CH.

#89870  by F40CFan

Bones, thanks for the explanation. I've also heard that 3 axle trucks have a better footing and provide a smoother ride. I guess the E unit arangement of A1A trucks is the best of both worlds.

#89896  by metrarider

F40CFan wrote:Bones, thanks for the explanation. I've also heard that 3 axle trucks have a better footing and provide a smoother ride. I guess the E unit arangement of A1A trucks is the best of both worlds.
Really? That's the opposite of what I've been told, namely that 3 axle trucks are more rigid and larger and have a harder time tracking through curves and switches, creating a rougher ride.

#90006  by bones

Six axle trucks ride like a limo.

#90035  by MetraF40C607

The F40Cs can't run BN because they don't have cab signals. That's what I heard.

#90098  by byte

Wouldn't that be the ex-C&NW lines the Cs can't run on? I didn't think the BN had any kind of specialized cab signaling equipment, but I know the North Western did.

#90260  by metrarider

byte wrote:Wouldn't that be the ex-C&NW lines the Cs can't run on? I didn't think the BN had any kind of specialized cab signaling equipment, but I know the North Western did.
the former C&NW lines have ATS, but no cab signals AFAIK