Metra Locomotive Assignments And Maintenance

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: JamesT4, metraRI

MetraBNSF
Posts: 980
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:15 am

Re: Metra Locomotive Assignments And Maintenance

Post by MetraBNSF » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:14 pm

Saw 206 (no longer double headed) on BNSF this morning on an outbound in La Grange.

User avatar
jt42cwr
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 12:37 pm

Re: Metra Locomotive Assignments And Maintenance

Post by jt42cwr » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:30 pm

I'll be in Chicago August 9th-12th for the IRM Diesel Days event.

Whilst there, I want to catch 88 & 184 in revenue service, should they be assigned thus. Can anyone advise which divisions they're currently assigned?

TIA.

doepack
Posts: 2337
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 5:20 am
Location: UP Geneva Subdivision, MP 25.0

Re: Metra Locomotive Assignments And Maintenance

Post by doepack » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:13 pm

METX88 = Milwaukee lines, or possibly NCS.

METX184 = BNSF or SWS

Happy hunting...
--Dorian--

User avatar
jt42cwr
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 12:37 pm

Re: Metra Locomotive Assignments And Maintenance

Post by jt42cwr » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:45 am

doepack wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:13 pm
METX88 = Milwaukee lines, or possibly NCS.

METX184 = BNSF or SWS

Happy hunting...
Thanks!

lstone19
Posts: 703
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:40 pm

Re: Metra Locomotive Assignments And Maintenance

Post by lstone19 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:04 am

doepack wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:13 pm
METX88 = Milwaukee lines, or possibly NCS.
Saw 88 on an MD-W train last night.
Larry
Roselle, IL (along the MILW West line)
ex-N&W Sandusky, Ohio

MetraBNSF
Posts: 980
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:15 am

Re: Metra Locomotive Assignments And Maintenance

Post by MetraBNSF » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:05 pm

MetraBNSF wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:31 pm
Keeping track of the Winnebagos (F40PHM-2/3’s) as of end of June/beginning of July:

MIA and presumably being rebuilt: 185, 187, 191, 201, 211
191 has been rebuilt and is coupled to a set at 14th St. Appears it will be on SWS.

User avatar
jt42cwr
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 12:37 pm

Re: Metra Locomotive Assignments And Maintenance

Post by jt42cwr » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:39 am

lstone19 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:04 am
Saw 88 on an MD-W train last night.
Thankyou

MetraBNSF
Posts: 980
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:15 am

Re: Metra Locomotive Assignments And Maintenance

Post by MetraBNSF » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:45 pm

Not 100% positive on this but 184 might have moved to the Rock. If this is true it might explain why 206 went to BNSF.

Speaking of the BNSF fleet, approximately 33 locomotives are assigned, which includes SWS.

Not counting the “Winnebagos” (F40PHM-2/3s) these are the F40PH-3s known to be serviced at 14th Street: 105, 112, 113, 114, 116, 119, 125, 179, 181-183. 105, 116, and 119 have been mainstays in that fleet for many years.

ChicagoRailfanner1989
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:32 pm

Re: Metra Locomotive Assignments And Maintenance

Post by ChicagoRailfanner1989 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:47 pm

MetraBNSF wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:45 pm
Not 100% positive on this but 184 might have moved to the Rock. If this is true it might explain why 206 went to BNSF.

Speaking of the BNSF fleet, approximately 33 locomotives are assigned, which includes SWS.

Not counting the “Winnebagos” (F40PHM-2/3s) these are the F40PH-3s known to be serviced at 14th Street: 105, 112, 113, 114, 116, 119, 125, 179, 181-183. 105, 116, and 119 have been mainstays in that fleet for many years.
184 has been on the Rock since 2008.

MetraBNSF
Posts: 980
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:15 am

Re: Metra Locomotive Assignments And Maintenance

Post by MetraBNSF » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:05 pm

ChicagoRailfanner1989 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:47 pm
MetraBNSF wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:45 pm
Not 100% positive on this but 184 might have moved to the Rock. If this is true it might explain why 206 went to BNSF.

Speaking of the BNSF fleet, approximately 33 locomotives are assigned, which includes SWS.

Not counting the “Winnebagos” (F40PHM-2/3s) these are the F40PH-3s known to be serviced at 14th Street: 105, 112, 113, 114, 116, 119, 125, 179, 181-183. 105, 116, and 119 have been mainstays in that fleet for many years.
184 has been on the Rock since 2008.
184 had a stint on BNSF after rebuild last year.

Redhill
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: Metra Locomotive Assignments And Maintenance

Post by Redhill » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:30 am

Hi

I too will be in Chicago at the end of the month and am hoping to catch the ex-GO Transit F59PH fleet. Are 97-99 active at the moment? Their appearance seems to be a bit sporadic. Are 94-96 on property yet?

Thanks

Rh

MetraBNSF
Posts: 980
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:15 am

Re: Metra Locomotive Assignments And Maintenance

Post by MetraBNSF » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:25 pm

185 has been rebuilt and at 14th Street. It is trailing 199 (still in blue) on a SWS set.

191 (already reported as rebuilt as of July) is also at 14th Street. It is leading 190 (still in blue) on a BNSF set.

MetraBNSF
Posts: 980
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:15 am

Re: Metra Locomotive Assignments And Maintenance

Post by MetraBNSF » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:12 pm

Over the past few weeks there has been an MP36 sitting under Roosevelt Road at 14th Street. They face north and are generally there no more than a day. This afternoon METX404 along with an Amtrak P40 (can’t remember the unit number) were at that location. My guess as to why foreign power is at 14th Street is as they come from 47th Street via the St. Charles Air Line, a Metra switcher needs to come over and pull it the rest of the way through the Union Station run through tracks over to Western Ave. Metra SW1500’s sometimes are at 14th St. Something to watch on occasion.

MetraBNSF
Posts: 980
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:15 am

Re: Metra Locomotive Assignments And Maintenance

Post by MetraBNSF » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:10 pm

Here’s one not really seen coming. F40PHM-3 204 is at 14th Street. It is paired with another rebuilt Winnebago and appears to be on SWS.

SST
Posts: 1338
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:11 pm
Location: Buffalo

Re: Metra Locomotive Assignments And Maintenance

Post by SST » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:51 pm

Metra unit #94 is currently sitting in the Frontier Yard in Buffalo. It is clean and shiny right down to the rails. It is not coupled to anything at this time.

Return to “Chicagoland Commuter & Transit”