Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#1013410  by lpetrich

BART - Oakland Airport Connector
BART airport connector rising but still stirring debate - Inside Bay Area

This is an under-construction 3.2-mi rail line between BART's Oakland Coliseum station and Oakland International Airport. From the BART station is goes in Hegenberger Rd. to Doolittle Ave. From there, it goes along Airport Dr. on the golf-course side to a station in the airport. Much of the track will be elevated; the whole system will be grade-separated. The railcars and propulsion system will be made by Doppelmayr Cable Car. Yes, the system's railcars will work like San Francisco's cable cars. However, they will be driverless. The system should start service by May 2014 or thereabouts, and the travel time should be about 15 minutes.

Its total cost is about $484 million, and I've seen some controversy about whether it's worth spending that amount of money for an airport rail link.

Construction is has now gotten to building the columns and crossbeams in Hegenberger Rd.
 #1014018  by gprimr1

Connecting an airport with a rail based public transit system makes good sense to me.
 #1014032  by CarterB

So the Doppelmayr Cable Car will only operate on this section, and you change to regular BART type cars at Colliseum? Much like the LIRR/monorail link at JFK?
 #1014215  by lpetrich

CarterB wrote:So the Doppelmayr Cable Car will only operate on this section, and you change to regular BART type cars at Colliseum? Much like the LIRR/monorail link at JFK?
Yes indeed. I don't know how integrated it will be into BART's ticketing, however. Will it require a separate fare? Or will a BART ticket work for it also? Since BART's ticket checking is at the entrance and exit gates, the Oakland Airport station would seem like another BART station.
 #1066525  by Mr.T

Cable operated trams are already used by several major airports and also to connect some Las Vegas hotels.
Here's a Wikipedia link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CABLE_Liner

AFAIK, cable cars are usually cheaper to build than a line using regular self-propelled railcars, which makes it a good choice for airport connectors. The 3.2 mile Oakland line is longer than the other ones I've heard about. Usually they build them over shorter distances.
 #1067713  by Tadman

3.2 miles is about the length of the Princeton Dinky and a little less than the Skokie Swift. At that point, why not just build a single-track BART branch with a passing track, and you have no new technology to support, no new cars to buy, and no teething problems.
 #1103936  by lensovet

most likely because it's cheaper to operate? also, something like half of BART technology was custom-built and is therefore pretty expensive to obtain. never mind the fact that it's not really tied into the rest of the system in any appreciable manner, so it wouldn't make much sense for it to be integrated into the system anyway.
 #1191119  by lensovet

it's cool, last week the monorail tracks finally went over the Amtrak tracks and are now approaching the half-built terminal station at the BART end. of course, this is happening right as i move out of berkeley and will stop flying into/out of oakland airport.
 #1191434  by electricron

lensovet wrote:it's cool, last week the monorail tracks finally went over the Amtrak tracks and are now approaching the half-built terminal station at the BART end. of course, this is happening right as i move out of berkeley and will stop flying into/out of oakland airport.
An automated people mover (bus) isn't monorail.
 #1191441  by lpetrich

The builder of the rolling stock and propulsion system: Doppelmayr Cable Car

I checked on that company's site, and its rolling stock is bi-rail rather than monorail. That rolling stock uses rubber tires and side wheels.

ETA:
DCC - Doppelmayr Cable Car - References - OAC
DCC - Doppelmayr Cable Car - Gallery - OAC
DCC - Doppelmayr Cable Car - Solutions - Technology (also check out System Features and Configurations there)

Its configuration is "dual track pinched loop system with four trains". So it looks like the OAC railcars will grip and ungrip the cables as appropriate. The railcars' top speed will be 50 km/h / 30 mph, their headway 280 seconds, and their dwell time 58 seconds.