Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#710645  by hi55us

I saw 10 cars of NJT equipment(Comet 3's?) twice in LA Union station last week and I was curious what it was doing there? They where not in revenue service, they where parked on a track in the station that had no platform. Did metrolink buy these cars? Are they just being serviced there?

Thanks
 #710649  by CNJGeep

They're not Comet IIIs, they're Comet Is. They were retired in March. Metrolink bought (leased?) them but hasn't used them yet.
 #710695  by cruiser939

hi55us wrote:I saw 10 cars of NJT equipment(Comet 3's?) twice in LA Union station last week and I was curious what it was doing there? They where not in revenue service, they where parked on a track in the station that had no platform. Did metrolink buy these cars? Are they just being serviced there?

Thanks
So that's where they ended up!? We've been looking for those cars for some time now. I guess you can chalk that up as a win for Metrolink in our ongoing prank war. Must be retaliation for making their representatives go to the MMC. :P
 #711503  by jz441

They came on 2 different trains at BNSF's Hobart yard last fall. I worked the job that transferred them over to Amtrak's 8th st. yard... :wink:

#723312  by Aselver

I sure hope they clean those up before putting them in service, especially with the cushions.
 #723350  by ExCon90

I'm in LA this week, and Metrolink also has some cars painted and lettered for FrontRunner (Salt Lake City) marshaled next to the locomotive in some revenue-service trains (one per train). I was told they were also ex-NJT, and they certainly look like Comets, but I didn't know NJT had disposed of any to UTA.
 #723729  by Fan Railer

ExCon90 wrote:I'm in LA this week, and Metrolink also has some cars painted and lettered for FrontRunner (Salt Lake City) marshaled next to the locomotive in some revenue-service trains (one per train). I was told they were also ex-NJT, and they certainly look like Comets, but I didn't know NJT had disposed of any to UTA.
check on youtube, there's actually some news recordings of them advertising the ex NJT comets on UTA.
 #727355  by Darien Red Sox

NJT also sold some equipment to the AMT in Quebec although these were mostly Comet IB.
 #1363774  by time

Aselver wrote:I sure hope they clean those up before putting them in service, especially with the cushions.
I miss those seats! I started out commuting on these cars during their last days in NJ. Yes, they looked old. But I found "my" seat that I sat in most mornings (except when they switched the consist, mainly due to a mechanical malfunction). It was a well worn seat, and you sank 4 inches down. But, very comfy compared to the hospital antiseptic color/feel seats of the Comet 4's. These cars also have a noticeably nicer ride, probably because they're heavier.