Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#1509667  by Tadman

David Benton wrote:Of course, there is no basis for your statement that a energy efficient skyscraper would cost twice as much.
We're not just talking new skyscrapers, we're talking required retrofit of all existing buildings. Tell yourself all you want that this won't change things, but it always has and will continue to do so. You will see an exodus from the city center. It's happened before under very similar circumstances and will happen again. Maybe not twice as expensive, but required heavy updates of entire building systems are very big money. $10m, $20m, $30m, no problem. It's a big number.
 #1510507  by David Benton

https://www.latimes.com/local/californi ... 5AVi4SpG6I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"On California’s high-speed rail project, combatant Kings County is ready to settle"
"One of the San Joaquin Valley’s most tenacious opponents of the California bullet train has decided to settle its lawsuit against the project, convinced that the state will operate slower-speed Amtrak trains on its future network in the Central Valley — not the long-promised 220 mph electrically powered ones."
 #1510663  by Backshophoss

There's going to be one heck of a reckoning coming up in the state house,along with a political "house cleaning" !
Will take years for the "rotten smell" to leave there!
 #1512903  by lpetrich

High Speed Rail to reveal project choices from San Francisco to Merced – Green Caltrain
In July the High Speed Rail Authority will disclose “preferred alternative” from San Francisco to San Jose and San Jose to Merced, in a series of community meetings. The meetings will disclose the High Speed Rail Authority’s preferences for a number of decision points including:
  • Which side of Brisbane Baylands does HSR want for a maintenance yard
  • Whether HSR thinks they need passing tracks to start running high speed rail service on the Peninsula
  • How High Speed Rail would come through Diridon Station and the adjacent neighborhoods in San Jose
The CHSRA wants to plan again in case they get lucky and have more favorable politicians in DC.
 #1512984  by Gilbert B Norman

I can only hope that the "whole lot of shakin' going on" yesterday, with an epicenter within Kern County - through which the CAHSR is proposed - will lay to rest any thoughts of a tunnel under the Tehachapi and San Gabriel Mountains into the LA "Basin.

To my best knowledge, Western Europe, with their multitude of tunnels, doesn't know what an earthquake is.
 #1513170  by David Benton

My thoughts are with the people of California.
Mr Norman , as far as I know , there is no way of predicting earthquakes . Animals seem to sense them seconds before people, but their senses for most things are superior(or less deadened) than ours.
For some reason, tunnels seem to hold up well in earthquakes. Every major tunnel in NZ is on , through or near a fault line. All have seen earthquakes nearby , in the 6- 7 .2 range. The Otira(5 mile) and Lyttleton Tunnels survived the Christchurch earthquakes unscathed. The Rimutaka (5 mile) has had several in the 6 and above shakes over the years. Kaikoura (7.2) shook Wellington 20 miles away . The Kaimai is the newest long tunnel (5 mile) , I can't recall if it was open when the nearby Edgecumbe Struck. Probably the least active area a long tunnel is in for NZ. The fault line is slightly out to sea on this one.
Some of the smaller tunnels in the Kaikoura area were definitely damaged in the Kaikoura quake, from the photos I have seen I don't think it would have caused loss of life. All lines are shut down after a major shake until checked for damage.
The Japanese would obviously have far more experience with HSR in quake areas. All countries in the ring of fire cooperate on Earthquake research.
However , I would say a tunnel is politically dead in the water after last weeks events. At least for the near future.
 #1513252  by lpetrich

California High-Speed Rail Authority to Make Public Recommendations for the State's Preferred Alternatives in Northern California | California High-Speed Rail Authority | State of California

For San Jose - Merced, they decided on alternative 4, a blended option in the Union Pacific right-of-way between San Jose and Gilroy. It will have two at-grade electrified tracks for HSR and Caltrain, and one non-electrified track for UP. The maximum speed there will be 110 mph / 177 km/h.

Alternatives 1, 2, 3 there are dedicated HSR corridors. This part's wye will be done separately.

For SF - SJ, they decided on Alternative A. The Brisbane maintenance yard will be east of the tracks, and there will be no passing tracks.
 #1513282  by lensovet

I can't understate how dumb this is.

With no passing tracks and no dedicated HSR tracks, how on earth are they going to hit the 2 hr 40 min maximum that is stipulated in the prop 1A requirements?

Absolutely nuts, this project has officially gone off the rails before it got started. Sad.