Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#1357029  by TomNelligan

I’m in the process of planning a trip that will involve some train riding out of Oakland/Emeryville plus streetcars in San Francisco. Can anyone suggest a non-fancy but decent hotel that’s within reasonable walking distance of an East Bay BART station? I’m just looking for a place to sleep rather than pools and spas, so I’m aiming for budget hotels rather than Hiltons or Sheratons. Any tips would be welcome. Thanks in advance.
 #1357090  by ExCon90

I'm not sure what the best search site would be, but San Francisco itself has a great many decent, low-budget hotels right downtown, many near Union Square and an easy walk from Powell St. on BART (and Muni Metro). They are without spas, Jacuzzis, and other stuff that many guests don't need and won't use. (I always got a kick out of a slogan used some years ago by the Hotel New Yorker ("How much time do you actually spend in your room anyway?"). Back when I traveled more I used to stay at the Chancellor, on Powell between Post and Sutter Sts.; rooms facing Powell St. provide cable-car sound effects through open windows.
 #1372546  by modorney

Around Walnut Creek - Diablo Mountain Inn - 2079 Mt Diablo Blvd, Walnut Creek, CA 94596
Phone:(925) 937-5050 a 3/4 mile walk.

Around East Dublin Pleasanton - Best Western Pleasanton, Motel 6 and La Quinta - all 15 minute walk.

cheers,
Mike O
 #1373978  by timz

Assume this is too late to matter, but:

How about staying next to Emeryville Amtrak station? Free shuttle to MacArthur BART-- emerygoround.com
 #1380046  by Tadman

I'm at the Cartwright off Union Square as I write this. I've stayed in "boutique" hotels like this before. This time, however, I have my wife with me. It's a bit cramped for two, if you know what I mean. I'm downstairs in the lobby and going to find some food or go to the gym to get out of the room.