Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#1370659  by Backshophoss

This was not a typical grade crossing wreck,this was a HD service truck and a trailer rigged as a fuel /oil/grease
dispenser for farm equipment,stradling 1 rail and driving on the ties in the pre-dawn hours.
The driver thought he was on a field service road.
The leasing of the BNSF power is a "CYA" reaction by SCAX to a possible design defect to the Rotem's cab car pilot plow,
and a large stack of lawsuits at the Metrolink's legal dept. in box!
 #1371023  by lensovet

mark777 wrote:This is a very unusual decision that MetroLink made to use BNSF locomotives instead of the ROTEM cab cars. I'm from the east coast, and in the NY area, both the LIRR, MNR, and NJ Transit use Electric MUs and cab cars over several grade crossings in some very densely populated areas. Accidents have happened, such as the MNR collision in Vallhalla, NY involving the MUs, but I don't see any of these RRs even contemplating putting Locomotives on the front end of these trains. Go Transit and Tri Rail all opted for new collision enforced cab cars, but none of them have gone the route that MetroLink has gone. It sounds a little bit overkill at the moment. Makes a nice sight to see a BNSF loco at the point of a commuter train, but is it really necessary?
i suggest you look at the number of fatalities that have come out of SCAX's operations over the last decade compared to any of the northeast railroads in absolute. Then adjust for the number of passenger miles traveled and perhaps you can understand why this is done.
 #1375251  by Fan Railer

talltim wrote:Is there any interlock between the doors and taking power? i.e. can the train move with the doors open? If so how do they manage when driving the train from AC4400 end?
I don't think there is. Conductor leaves his door open until the train has left the platform so that he can observe.