Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#1318851  by Tom6921

I saw on CNN that a Metrolink train had derailed. It appeared to have struck something at a crossing. The train was in push mode and had a Rotem cab car leading though there was one Bombardier coach in the consist.

The cab car and the Bombardier car are on their sides. Last I checked there were 30 injuries, but no fatalities.

This may be the accident that could prove that if the new cars are safer than the Bombardier cars.
 #1318858  by Gilbert B Norman

Raw video from the scene:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dozens ... ar-BBhUYOr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Too close to Chatsworth for comfort; at least this time, another party will in all likelihood take the fault. But regardless, "taxpayers open 'em up" and dig deep.

Fortunately, no fatalities yet reported.
 #1318867  by talltim

Surely, assuming the truck driver was at fault (and absconding afterwards makes that look likely) their insurance will be covering it. Obviously making another assumption that they have any. You know what they say about assumptions!
 #1318889  by MichaelB86

Man Metrolink has the worst luck don't they? That intersection is pretty bad though, and hey, nobody is dead. Hopefully the Hoghead recovers okay. I don't know if Amtrak awards "piling up a train because of a produce truck" claims but they should. Anyway, I naturally expect the media to as usual, not know what the hell is going on. I'm sure they'll cry PTC and vilify Metrolink's brand all because of the accidental negligence of a truck driver.
 #1318935  by Backshophoss

This is UP's Santa Barbara Sub track,shared with Metrolink,and Amtrak,under UP Dispatcher control.
Metrolink has a layup point at Montalvo.
Understand that NTSB will be at wreck site tonight and investagate.
 #1318965  by deathtopumpkins

MichaelB86 wrote:Anyway, I naturally expect the media to as usual, not know what the hell is going on. I'm sure they'll cry PTC and vilify Metrolink's brand all because of the accidental negligence of a truck driver.
CNN's already stuck this gem in an article (syndicated with local news):
The train wasn't equipped with positive train control, which can automatically stop a train. Lustgarten said Metrolink was already planning to add the technology within months.
Because PTC totally would have prevented this incident.
 #1319088  by Gilbert B Norman

I guess the driver has his "abogado"

http://a.msn.com/r/2/BBhWFte?a=1&m=en-us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fair Use quotation:
OXNARD, Calif. — An attorney for a driver who left his pickup truck on railroad tracks, triggering the derailment of a Los Angeles-bound commuter train, says the man made repeated efforts to move the vehicle before the train arrived.

Attorney Ron Bamieh said Wednesday that Jose Alejandro Sanchez-Ramirez accidentally drove onto the tracks. He made things worse by driving farther to try to get enough speed to get over the rails.

Bamieh says the Arizona man then tried pushing the vehicle before putting on his high beams and running for his life before impact.

Otherwise this Associated Press (courtesy of MSN) has photos of the scene that previously I had not seen.
 #1319092  by MACTRAXX

Martin Baumann wrote:945 was leading the train with F59 870 at the rear
MB: Rotem cab car 645 was the one overturned in this wreck - it is clearly visible in some pictures and videos
of this accident...

The ABC News link posted by rdgrailfan no longer is covering this subject...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/photos/metro ... slideshow/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The truck driver looks to be clearly at fault in this mishap and not only did the equipment hold up well
even with cars overturning there were no fatalities and not many serious injuries...

MACTRAXX
 #1319141  by kaitoku

It is unclear where exactly the driver drove unto the tracks- was it at the designated grade crossing, or did he just randomly cut across the ROW somewhere else (it appears at least one side along the track is unfenced). The following quote from the LAT is telling:
Investigators said they plan to talk to Sanchez-Ramirez in an effort to find out why his truck was struck 80 feet down the track from the actual crossing.

“Why was that truck there? And once it was there, why did it not move?” he said.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1319262  by ExCon90

The Philadelphia Inquirer reported that according to the driver's attorney the driver erroneously made a turn onto the track and then tried to move forward along the rails but stalled, panicked, and ran. However, the story also reported that the authorities stated that the parking brake was on and the driver had not called 911. If that's true there's an eerie resemblance to the Metrolink collision at Glendale some years ago (an attempted suicide in which the driver changed his mind at the last minute and abandoned his truck where it was).
 #1319311  by Backshophoss

From the KNX stream:Fatel Hit and Run charges on the truck driver from Yuma AZ,
were dropped today at court,but will be revisited at next court hearing on May 8.
NTSB to Inspect cars involved in the wreck at Metrolink's shop tomorrow in LA.
Per NTSB:from cab car video, truck headlight and flashers seen 11 seconds before,Brakes in Emergency at 8 seconds before crash.
Y-day,engineer of train involved had heart attack at ICU,revived,now has pacemaker for heart