Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#1269516  by jt42cwr

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to the West Coast in September and want to cram in as much as possible into the time I have.

I would like to take in the ACE, Coaster, Caltrain and Metrolink trains with the aim of travelling on trains with as many different locomotives as possible. To aid in making this as easy as possible, can anyone advise what the current train cycles are for any or all of these self-contained operations? Obviously the ACE and Coaster are relatively easy to work out, but Caltrain and especially Metrolink not so much.

TIA
Last edited by jt42cwr on Mon May 12, 2014 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1269521  by Rockingham Racer

Are you doing just Florida and California? There are a few places in between that might offer more types of equipment. For example, Dallas has its A-train, which is a bit unique to the U.S.--so far. TRE [still in Dallas] may still have a few runs using Budd RDCs, but not sure on that one.
 #1269530  by jt42cwr

Rockingham Racer wrote:Are you doing just Florida and California? There are a few places in between that might offer more types of equipment. For example, Dallas has its A-train, which is a bit unique to the U.S.--so far. TRE [still in Dallas] may still have a few runs using Budd RDCs, but not sure on that one.
I'm possibly also covering most or all of TRE, MetroTransit Northstar, UTA Frontrunner, NM Rail Runner Express, West Coast Express, Sounder and Music City Star too. I'm only interested in anything with locos in the train consist, so Stadler DMU's, Budd RDC's etc are not really of any interest, even if they're rare or interesting to some people, not me I'm afraid.

So, any loco-hauled commuter operations outside of the North-East & Chicago are fair game, and equipment cycles would be most handy.
 #1269646  by Backshophoss

Weekdays will have more sets in operation,on NMRX,sat runs are covered with 2 sets,the 2nd set will start
in the afternoon,all sun runs are covered with 1 set.
 #1269685  by jt42cwr

Backshophoss wrote:Weekdays will have more sets in operation,on NMRX,sat runs are covered with 2 sets,the 2nd set will start
in the afternoon,all sun runs are covered with 1 set.
Thanks. It stands to reason there are more set in operation on weekdays, and the reason I'm looking for cycles is because of this. I'd already worked out they needed a minimum of 2 sets on Saturday and one on Sunday. Weekdays it looks like they need at least 6 sets, but it's not obvious which trains each set would work, hence the request for info. I am only in town for possibly one day or perhaps only one rush hour, so need to maximise my time spent there by not missing any sets.
 #1269928  by Backshophoss

I was using NMRX as an example,during the week the Express set and 1 other set layover at Richardson Siding in Santa Fe
(in the I-25 mediam)1 2 car set lays over at the Santa Fe Depot overnights+weekends
MetroLink tends to cycle most of their active sets thru Taylor Yard for fuel/servicing between AM/PM rush hours,but most of their
Equipment sets are staged at layover yards at the outer ends of system. Oceanside is a joint SCAX/SDNR station,
they share a yard called Stuart Mesa about 4 miles RR east of Oceanside.
You might want to try the Fullerton station for the most action,BNSF freights,maybe a UP freight,Plenty of
Amtrak and Metrolink trains.
 #1275946  by jt42cwr

Backshophoss wrote:I was using NMRX as an example, during the week the Express set and 1 other set layover at Richardson Siding in Santa Fe
(in the I-25 mediam)
Is this during the day? Does either set usually have 2 locomotives rather than 1?
 #1276012  by Backshophoss

The Express set may have 2 units on it,allows for a faster run up the 3.24% grade from CP Madrid to the top of the grade near
mp3.5 and the grade in the I-25 median from mp 6 to mp 16 at an avg of 2.34%
CP Richardson is the passing siding at top of that grade,the median gets very wide at that point.
There is NO public access to that siding,however pics can be taken from nearby local streets.
DO NOT park on the shoulder of I-25!,there are frontage roads that parallel the interstate to get pics safely.