Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#1239764  by kaitoku

From the Transportation Research Board subcommittee meeting agenda:
ACE Considering conversion to DMU for reasons of economics and performance. “ACE hopes to eventually extend services to Sacramento and Merced while replacing the existing diesel locomotive – one locomotive per eight coaches, traveling top speed of 79 mph – to that of the Diesel Multiple Unit. Each DMU train is self propelled with top speeds between 110 to 125 mph and performance not affected by train length.”
http://trbsprc.blogspot.com/2013/12/201 ... genda.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1239810  by Fan Railer

kaitoku wrote:From the Transportation Research Board subcommittee meeting agenda:
ACE Considering conversion to DMU for reasons of economics and performance. “ACE hopes to eventually extend services to Sacramento and Merced while replacing the existing diesel locomotive – one locomotive per eight coaches, traveling top speed of 79 mph – to that of the Diesel Multiple Unit. Each DMU train is self propelled with top speeds between 110 to 125 mph and performance not affected by train length.”
http://trbsprc.blogspot.com/2013/12/201 ... genda.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lol, since when does ACE run consists that long? (1 loco + 8 cars).
 #1239908  by Backshophoss

ACE tends to run 7-8 car consists from Stockton to San Jose,on a regular basis,but believe UP will never allow DMU's
to run the Tracy - Newark corridor via Niles Jct, it's UP's south east access to SFO metro area.
 #1239927  by Fan Railer

Backshophoss wrote:ACE tends to run 7-8 car consists from Stockton to San Jose,on a regular basis,but believe UP will never allow DMU's
to run the Tracy - Newark corridor via Niles Jct, it's UP's south east access to SFO metro area.
Interesting, last I checked, the norm was 6 car sets, with maybe an occasional 7 car consist. I wasn't aware ridership had risen enough in the last year since I was there to start warranting 8 car trains, nor have I seen any 8 car sets documented on Youtube.
 #1242372  by Tadman

This is interesting, but there are two important issues: 1. the FRA-compliant DMU marketplace is pretty quiet. We'll see how Sumitomo fares (they have a good track record) in Toronto and Marin County; 2. NJT released a study a few years back that put 7 cars as the over/under for MU efficiency. In other words, trains 8+ cars are optimal as diesel hauled, while 7 and less are optimal as MU's. Obviously they have a far different physical plant and density pattern (as well as electric MU's) so perhaps the math is much different at NJT than ACE. Also, I somewhat question that math when I see endless 10-12 car EMU consists at LIRR, NJT, and MNCR...
 #1242578  by Fan Railer

Tadman wrote:This is interesting, but there are two important issues: 1. the FRA-compliant DMU marketplace is pretty quiet. We'll see how Sumitomo fares (they have a good track record) in Toronto and Marin County; 2. NJT released a study a few years back that put 7 cars as the over/under for MU efficiency. In other words, trains 8+ cars are optimal as diesel hauled, while 7 and less are optimal as MU's. Obviously they have a far different physical plant and density pattern (as well as electric MU's) so perhaps the math is much different at NJT than ACE. Also, I somewhat question that math when I see endless 10-12 car EMU consists at LIRR, NJT, and MNCR...
Idk. Not sure if you interpreted it correctly. In addition, you might be mixing up DMUs with EMUs. For DMUs, yes, over a certain number of cars, it is more economical to run the set with a diesel locomotive. For EMUs, I would think the opposite, since there isn't as much of a power drawback, and you get much better acceleration with a 12 car EMU train than a 12 car locomotive hauled train.
 #1248289  by jb9152

Patrick Boylan wrote:If the FRA approves them what reasons would there be for UP not to allow them? How much do regulations allow the host railroad to add extra conditions beyond what the government requires already?
Well, they own the facility, so everything is subject to negotiation. Regulatory requirements are the base; host railroads often ask for more than the base. If the host railroad doesn't want DMUs, they can kill the deal if the passenger agency pushes too hard.
 #1248292  by electricron

jb9152 wrote:
Patrick Boylan wrote:If the FRA approves them what reasons would there be for UP not to allow them? How much do regulations allow the host railroad to add extra conditions beyond what the government requires already?
Well, they own the facility, so everything is subject to negotiation. Regulatory requirements are the base; host railroads often ask for more than the base. If the host railroad doesn't want DMUs, they can kill the deal if the passenger agency pushes too hard.
In Fort Worth, the proposed TexRail commuter project (ex-SW2NE) is planning to use Stadler GTWs DMUs or equivalent. FWWR is demanding a new shared double track line to reduce freight impacts, UP is demanding new segregated tracks for passenger trains 25 feet displaced from existing freight tracks, while DART will allow sharing a new single track in its ex-Cotton Belt corridor. So, it's true whoever owns the corridor has the final say.

What DART will allow depends upon the GTWs getting FRA approval to share tracks (DCTA did so successfully after jumping through hoops). The UP has been demanding the same lately everywhere, just refer to the recent UTA's Frontrunner and Denver RTD's examples. FWWR is demanding about the same BNSF demands everywhere, just refer to the recent Sounder and Northstar examples. NMDOT's Railrunner is the other BNSF demand example, actually selling the corridor to the commuter rail agency, which is what CSX has also done recently in Orlando. ........While there are different examples what each freight railroad will do, they have been fairly consistent recently individually.