Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#1389745  by SRich

MattW wrote:
electricron wrote:I don't think the catenary wires and poles will cause the UP any problems because low wires will effect double stack containers and tall auto racks, which I doubt the UP needs to service in San Francisco or on its peninsula. All of the facilities for these type of cars are located not the east side of the bay where there will be no catenaries. And if the wires are hung high enough, even these types of cars can run under them. ;)
Why would that be an issue? Double stacks and autoracks run under wire here in the east just fine.
Are the wires on the NEC (except NY Penn) high enough to allow double stack freight on it?
 #1390160  by timz

electricron wrote:The minimum clearance between a live wire and a working surface, in this case the top of the rail cars, or th rail cars envelope, to the live wire, is 9 feet for voltages between 7,501 Volts and 35,000 Volts.
NJT's 25 kV wire isn't always 9 feet above the top of the passenger cars. At Summit the wire is about 17 ft above top of rail.
 #1390185  by electricron

When it's not 9 feet, you can't work there without taking precautions, like wearing rubber gloves, fire retardant clothing, safety googles, rubber boots, etc, by a qualified electrician. The OSHA regulations will specify all the additional safety requirements needed to work within that 9 feet distance.
 #1392110  by Nasadowsk

I wouldn't be surprised if Stadler pulls a rabbit out of their hat again, and gets the KISS to meet the FRA's alternative compliance standards. They did it with the FLIRT in Texas, and the GTW in Denton, IIRC.

It would have a useful advantage for them - they could sell the same model to the MBTA, and even Metra if they ever decide to get out of the 1950's. It'd be ideal at both operators (ok, the high platforms in places on the MBTA would be an issue, but they seem to have figured that out, if you look at their portfolio).
 #1392417  by lpetrich

It’s a Go for Caltrain Electrification | Streetsblog San Francisco
This morning, during its regular meeting in San Carlos, the nine-member Caltrain board voted unanimously to dedicate $1.25 billion towards electrifying Caltrain. If all goes according to plan, electric services will begin in 2020.

“The total program is $2 billion. That includes money for the advanced signal system, which we’re already installing today,” said Jayme Ackemann, spokeswoman for Caltrain. “But the $1.25 billion is the lion’s share for electrification.”

Included in the contract is an order for 96 rail vehicles, with an option to buy an additional 20. And “we are considering an additional purchase of more electric vehicles,” added Ackemann.
At Caltrain's site: Caltrain’s Board Approves Electrification Design-Build and EMU Contracts

So it looks like it's finally happening.
 #1421019  by John_Perkowski

So I saw this on book of faces thanks to Moderator Amtrak67ofAmerica.

Looks like what goes around, comes around to me

Added quote:
In the first big hit to the Bay Area from the Trump administration, newly minted Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao has put the brakes on $647 million for Caltrain to go electric — and in the process pretty much killed hopes for high-speed rail coming to San Francisco anytime soon.

“It puts the (electrification) project in serious jeopardy,” Caltrain spokesman Seamus Murphy said Friday.

Caltrain carries about 60,000 riders a day between the South Bay and San Francisco, but its diesel-driven trains are both costly to operate and slow. Officials see electrification as a way both to increase ridership and save money on operating costs.

Going electric would also allow the Peninsula line to be the final link in the high-speed rail system that Gov. Jerry Brown wants to stretch from San Francisco to Los Angeles. The Obama administration embraced the idea, but California Republicans have long portrayed it as a boondoggle and sought to kill it.
 #1423999  by Head-end View

I'm surprised the new Sec. of Trans. did this, since President Trump has been talking about big infrastructure improvements as part of his overall plan.
 #1424018  by mtuandrew

I'm not, for many reasons too political to get into here. Suffice to say, I don't see this administration advancing many projects in blue states in the next four years, unless its corporate and political allies have a stake, or unless some Democrats go rogue and publicly come to Trump's bargaining table.
 #1424046  by deathtopumpkins

It was at the request of California's Republican Congressional delegation, which has been trying very hard to kill CAHSR however they can for years now.
 #1432438  by electricron

Nicholas Chen wrote:Caltrain and FTA announce federal funding of $647 million to electrification:
http://www.caltrain.com/about/MediaRela ... train.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Reevaluating what projects to fund doesn't mean every project that is on the chopping block is going to get chopped. Once a full funding agreement is signed officially, the USDOT is legally bound to provide the promised funding. This is one reason why it's very difficult to cut the various federal agency budgets - so much of it is committed legally for years to come. About the only line items that can be cut are funds for discretionary projects with no legal entanglements - which makes up far less than 10% of the entire US budget.
 #1433227  by lensovet

at the same time, they get a nice PR piece that thanks Secretary Chao and Donald Trump personally for money that had been promised before either came to office. you can bet that will be used when needed in the future.