Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#1367427  by DutchRailnut

SwingMan wrote:Crazy how it's been almost 20 years since the last new EMD passenger locomotive. Hopefully there will be many more years ahead thanks to this model.
the LIRR being last EMD locomotives have not been a huge success, not only performance, but how EMD did follow up and customer support.
with progress rail (caterpillar and EMD) being against anything union I can't see much support for these units .
 #1367637  by Bramdeisroberts

NH2060 wrote:Here's a link to the photo on their Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/Metrolink/phot ... =3&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I tip my hat off to EMD that is one of the best looking engines ever built. Puts the Genesis and DE/DM30s to shame in the looks department :-P
It's a handsome unit, that looks a bit like an HSP46 with all the sharp edges sanded off. Let's hope that Cat prime mover holds up under american service conditions...
 #1367944  by NH2060

NorthWest wrote:Looks nice, but those crash beams on the front pilot are pretty brutal...
Considering how many grade crossing accidents Metrolink has had to contend with over the years (some of them with disastrous results) I say GOOD.