California High-Speed Rail (CAHSR) System

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

Backshophoss

Re: California High-Speed Rail (CAHSR) System

Post by Backshophoss » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:10 pm

In the end of this "nightmare" becomes an "Improved route" for the San Joaquin services.. So this is how CaHSR dies on the vine.
And Metrolink,Coaster Caltrain with LOSSAN get needed $$$$ to improve service.
The Land of Enchantment is not Flyover country!

eolesen

Post by eolesen » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:28 am

Huh.. That sounds a lot like what Anderson has been pushing for a strategy.... Build up the corridors, grow the ridership, and gradually increase the demand and support for higher speed services.

David Benton

Post by David Benton » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:14 am

Looking over the next options, I would think Palmdale - Tehapachi is the logical next section to complete. Its relatively easy , unpopulated with few roads to cross. Much is at ground level .
It would allow a passenger to be on the train from L.A to Tehapachi, a short bus trip to Bakersfield , then rail to existing destinations.
I'm sort of wondering why they didn't close this gap first. Probably because the L.a Palmdale , and Bakersfield - Tehapachi sections either side require a lot of tunnels and viaducts.
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.

lensovet

Post by lensovet » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:51 pm

David Benton wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:14 am
Looking over the next options, I would think Palmdale - Tehapachi is the logical next section to complete. Its relatively easy , unpopulated with few roads to cross. Much is at ground level .
It would allow a passenger to be on the train from L.A to Tehapachi, a short bus trip to Bakersfield , then rail to existing destinations.
I'm sort of wondering why they didn't close this gap first. Probably because the L.a Palmdale , and Bakersfield - Tehapachi sections either side require a lot of tunnels and viaducts.
It's been beaten to death but people hate mode transfers. train → bus → train? who would take that? rail fans don't count.
Paul Borokhov

Last RRPicArch addition – NJ Railfan.

NJT RailCalifornia commuter (mod)

Return to “California Commuter & Transit”