Railroad Forums 

• What is this locomotive????

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#664365  by scottychaos

Interesting..
it does look like a tunnel motor with a wide cab!

But EMD never made any tunnel motors with wide cabs..
so its probably a one-off "crash test engine"..
Its clearly the body of a tunnel motor, and probably the wide cab was added on for
purposes of the crash test..(since most locos these days are wide cabs)

So its probably not any specific EMD model..it was probably made "custom" for the crash test.

Scot
 #664396  by Jtgshu

scottychaos wrote:Interesting..
it does look like a tunnel motor with a wide cab!

But EMD never made any tunnel motors with wide cabs..
so its probably a one-off "crash test engine"..
Its clearly the body of a tunnel motor, and probably the wide cab was added on for
purposes of the crash test..(since most locos these days are wide cabs)

So its probably not any specific EMD model..it was probably made "custom" for the crash test.

Scot
I remember reading something with regard to the crash tests out there in Pueblo, (sorry, I can't remember where it was) and if I remember correctly, it was a retired SP/UP SD40-2T and the standard nose was replaced with a safety cab/wide nose for the purpose of this crash test. It was pretty interesting reading. I really wish I could remember where I read that........I wanna say it was the company that made the modifications to the loco, and it was on their website, but im not sure.
 #664732  by SSW9389

The crash test locomotive is one of two SD45T-2s that was used at the DOT Test Center. The test was to prove the safety of new cabs for EMD locomotives. I traced one of the units on LocoNotes as ex-SP9309, but could not find a trace on the second unit. You can tell it is an SD45T-2 by the three radiator fan doors at the back of the unit.

Ed