Railroad Forums 

• "Walkaround" cabs on GP38 & SD45

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#581284  by LIengineerBob

How much was the cab front extended on the locomotives built with "dual" control stands. I am interested in the measurement for the PRSL GP-38's (subsequently to PC and CR) and the Reading SD-45's subsequently to CR also). I would assume that they would be the same. What other EMD locos had this style cab.

I'm starting a modeling project and would like to know the correct dimension to build the cab front out. THANKS!!
 #581297  by Jtgshu

While i can't give you an answer for what you are asking, its important to remember that not all dual control cabs were bigger than standard size.

for example the "CNJ Geeps" on NJT - the 4100 to 4112, originally had 2 control stands and the cabs, as far as I know, are "standard" size. They don't seem any bigger than another other cab on NJT's Geeps.

So if you can't find out those dimensions, you can still have dual control stand in a regular cab and match the prototype at least somewhere with some loco! hahaha
 #581345  by PRSL2005

If you want to see 1 of the Ex PRSL/PC gp38s . One is on the Bay Coast Railroad In Va .
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/LocoPi ... x?id=52335
I wish some one would make a dual control stand cab kit in HO .So I can have some PRSL GP38s in HO togo with my AS16s ,S8 and S12s :( But I can only wish. :(
 #582602  by GOLDEN-ARM

Addressing your question specifically, the PRSL Geeps had a standard cab on them. There was no "lengthening" of them. They were tight, crowded and uncomfortable, room wise. The stand on the firemans side was mounted at an awkward angle, allowing the access doors on the firewall to be opened. This resulted in a tight squeeze between the stand and the nosewall of the loco, and it filled the cab with control stands. The SD's also had a standard cab, with the same awkward arrangement. I last ran one of those PRSL Geeps on a Manville drill job, in the early 90's. Both stands still there, but only the "proper" one was still functional. It was an unpleasant engine to have, with our 3 man crew, and only 2 cab seats........ :P (those CNJ Geeps were also the same, with regular cabs, and crowded conditions)
 #582973  by Allen Hazen

Golden-Arm:
No lengthening of the internal space, you mean: back door to engineers window (back wall to front door on fireman's side) is the same length as standard. But there is a visible lengthening of the central part of the cab: as shown in the photo linked by PRSL2005, the main (central) front window is several inches forward of the usual front wall position. (Sorry if this sounds like pedantic criticism: just wanted to get things clear.)
 #583013  by GOLDEN-ARM

Well, I went through some original PRSL pics, and I see what you mean. The cab sides, and floorplan are the same as any other EMD. There is an "extension" of the front windshield, from the nose to the numberboards, of about 8-9". Inside the cab, this wasn't noticeable, and as I indicated, the "offsetting" of the firemans side stand, was mandated by the need to open the auxilliary control compartment doors on the firewall. This relocated the stand backwards from the windshield (towards the locos "F", remember, this is on the wrong side) and the squeeze to get around this was noticeable. On the regular side, the control stand sits almost against the front cab wall, allowing adequate room to move behind the stand, and exit the rear cab door, or get into The Seat. I don't remember if this movement of the windshield went all the way down to the floor. With the nose door, and the water cooler, there wasn't room for a third cab seat in this loco. They might have had a jump seat on the firewall, but I don't remember those either. Our third guy sat on top of my Hammie grip, and rode the day like that. On those set back control stands, they were actually braced to the firewall, with a large bracket, to help stabilize it. It was an awkward seat to run from, and other than using it on a passenger run, there's no real benefit to running forward, on the "wrong" side. Those 3600's on the CNJ had regular cabs, but I see the RDG 7600's also had the regular cab, with the windshield extension. Good catch, Allen! :-D
 #583395  by Allen Hazen

I can't imagine that standing up (or sitting on somebody's grip) in a locomotive cab is really a good thing when, say, you go over a low rail-joint: this sounds like (what in these latter, more regulated, days would be called) an Occupational Health and Safety issue, not just a comfort and convenience one!
For the modeler, unless he is trying for a detailed cab interior, the photo might be enough to go on, but is there any way you could post a sketch of the floor plan?
 #583551  by Jtgshu

Allen Hazen wrote:I can't imagine that standing up (or sitting on somebody's grip) in a locomotive cab is really a good thing when, say, you go over a low rail-joint: this sounds like (what in these latter, more regulated, days would be called) an Occupational Health and Safety issue, not just a comfort and convenience one!
For the modeler, unless he is trying for a detailed cab interior, the photo might be enough to go on, but is there any way you could post a sketch of the floor plan?
hahahaha some times the "legal" seats are worse! having sat on my fair share of those stupid little round jump seats, id rather sit on the hammie box! or sit on the stairs down into the nose in the cab (if equipped) sitting/leaning on the firemans side cab heater against the back window isnt that bad either......
 #634878  by GN 599

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:Addressing your question specifically, the PRSL Geeps had a standard cab on them. There was no "lengthening" of them. They were tight, crowded and uncomfortable, room wise. The stand on the firemans side was mounted at an awkward angle, allowing the access doors on the firewall to be opened. This resulted in a tight squeeze between the stand and the nosewall of the loco, and it filled the cab with control stands. The SD's also had a standard cab, with the same awkward arrangement. I last ran one of those PRSL Geeps on a Manville drill job, in the early 90's. Both stands still there, but only the "proper" one was still functional. It was an unpleasant engine to have, with our 3 man crew, and only 2 cab seats........ :P (those CNJ Geeps were also the same, with regular cabs, and crowded conditions)
I dont know why they take the guts out of those second control stand and leave the rest of it in there to bang your knees on. They go to all the trouble to remove the working parts. I have seen this on some SW's. I think the former GN SW1500's. What a joke!
 #646947  by PRSL2005

LIengineerBob wrote:How much was the cab front extended on the locomotives built with "dual" control stands. I am interested in the measurement for the PRSL GP-38's (subsequently to PC and CR) and the Reading SD-45's subsequently to CR also). I would assume that they would be the same. What other EMD locos had this style cab.

I'm starting a modeling project and would like to know the correct dimension to build the cab front out. THANKS!!
I was told one foot or 12" .
 #933067  by GOLDEN-ARM

never did add the pics. the extended center section of the cab, is easily viewed here. http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/prsl/prsl2004akg.jpg you will notice, the cab itself is a standard sized cab. the center sections of the windshield are pushed forward about a foot, but not the cab door, or engineers windshield. this extended windshield allws enough clearance to squeeze around the control stand, thats just inside the front cab door. this view shows the engineers side, and the pushed out cener windshield section again, is easily viewed. http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/prsl/prsl2003bkg.jpg it's interesting to note, the cnj gp-40p's dont have the pushed out cab. the second stand in them, was normally oriented, and the access to the lower right firewall compartment was accessed by a removable door, instead of a hinged door.