Railroad Forums 

• EMD SD80MAC and SD90MAC series official thread

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#115316  by LCJ

R44 5212 A Train wrote:Don't most locomotives have 2 engines?
No. Most do not. EMD E units had two prime movers, as did Alco DL109s, GE U50s, and EMD DDs.

#115352  by Phil Hom

What "rumor" have you heard that makes you believe that Electro Motive Diesel is planning to come out with a model that is completely different than the current product?

EMD is trying to met EPA standards and at the same time prove their products are better than the ones from Erie.

EMDiesel does not need any wannabe, but need a proven product to move tonnage.
 #123946  by UPRR engineer

Anyone know what it is? I can hack my way into all the rest of the types of motors i run but not these ones. I asked a guy at the pit one day awhile back and he said that the code changes everyday. Anyone know if thats true?
I got on a train yesterday that had a fault that cut out the dynamic brake and limited power, and clearing all faults didnt fix it. Im gonna ask the roundhouse forman next time i get power from the pit, but if someone could tell me on here that would be sweet, sence i hardly catch a local now a days. Guess i could call him from the switch shack next time im dogcatching.

I put this topic on the GE forum and then moved it. HA HA that would have made me look like an idiot.

#124206  by cb&q bob

Yes there is a code to get into the computer display screem and it changes every day but it wont help you to reset faults like on a G.E. Some faults can only be reset with a laptop computer and there is no way to do it other than with one. Not even rebooting the thing. These faults have to do with the gating of the scr's in the inverters and if they detect certain problems, they dont want anyone messing with them until an electrician is onboard who knows how to troubleshoot it without burning something up in a big way.Two other faults that I would advise against resetting out on the road are crank case overpressure and engine overspeed.

#124256  by UPRR engineer

Thanks for the input cb&q bob. I guess the guy at the pit was right. Didnt you tell me what was going on when i thought i got a traction motor on that one sd 90 that felt like it jumped two feet off the rail? Thanks for that input also buddy.

I understand why not to reset the crank case overpressure, but why the engine overspeed? Some days on a switch engine (SD 40) id have to reset it four or five times a shift. Heres another question cb&q bob, sometimes it would trip because of a wheel slip, and on someother switch engines when a guy would ask for a kick it, in the 8th run the motor would bog down and blow black smoke, so if i was quick enough, i would jump down to idle then jam it back to the 8th run and it wouldnt trip and then it wouldnt die on me. I forgot the governer button would also trip. Wonder why that happens on alot of SD 40's. About one out of five goats we would get would do that. Being in the 8th run during transition on some SD 40's has the same effect. What causes that? Bad governer, old oil in it maybe?

#124500  by cb&q bob

You're welcome for the info on the MAC 90.
It s nice get a little info from the guys on your end too because us guys in the shop dont really get to see what those locomotives go through out in the real world.
As far as the engine overspped, I'd always heard that they should be shopped for a main bearing inspection after one tripped for that but maybe they dont. it's kinda out of my area of expertise.
The governor button may be popping due to low oil pressure. I can see that happening if the engine is bogging down which it sounds like it may be since you mentioned the smoke. Could be a governor, Could be a bad module, could be alot of things. If it starts back up Get your work done and take an early quit!

#124932  by UPRR engineer

I was pretty hard on switch engines, infact im hard on equipment all around. If i dont break it, no one else will.

#125616  by nickleinonen

As far as the engine overspped, I'd always heard that they should be shopped for a main bearing inspection after one tripped for that but maybe they dont. it's kinda out of my area of expertise.
we had an engine go into overspeed right at startup last night during my shift... it was an sd40 maybe? [i still don't know model numbers - cn5333] i am not sure why it went to overspeed, but it made one heck of a noise starting up but it did smoke us out of the shop

#129234  by slchub

UPRR,

Ever use the old flare trick on the low water reset button, when the thing wants to keep tripping on you? When I saw an old head do that, I thought, wow, pretty cool.

#129400  by Nelson Bay

slchub wrote:UPRR,

Ever use the old flare trick on the low water reset button, when the thing wants to keep tripping on you? When I saw an old head do that, I thought, wow, pretty cool.
Not cool, actually stupid... as in monkey see, monkey do.

#129633  by slchub

Well, I would say so for the crankcase overpressure, sure, but when you have an RCL that is not maintained, water is full, the governor keeps tripping, the yardmaster is yelling to get your moves done, and the low water keeps tripping, then, well, you watch what the the old guy does, and are amazed at the stuff these guys come up with. If it were me, I'd call on the radio and say send the diesel guy, cause she shut down on us. What is your background down there in Florida? Welcome aboard.

#129694  by Nelson Bay

The flare trick can and has destroyed engines. Overiding an engine shutdown device on your own is probably against the operating rules of your RR. Why do something that could get you fired?

My background? The RR industry for several years.

#129758  by UPRR engineer

Yep i know that trick slchub. It is pretty cool. If i had to limp a switch engine to the pit so i could get my quit, water in it or not, the fusee would be in place. Thats about the only time i would do it though. Nelson Bay.... no buddy i have not done it. (just like i havent done the overspeed trick) What RR department did you work in, if ya dont mind me asking.

#129821  by UPRR engineer

Were you a track worker Nelson?

#129824  by Nelson Bay

UPRR engineer wrote:Yep i know that trick slchub. It is pretty cool. If i had to limp a switch engine to the pit so i could get my quit, water in it or not, the fusee would be in place. Thats about the only time i would do it though. Nelson Bay.... no buddy i have not done it. (just like i havent done the overspeed trick) What RR department did you work in, if ya dont mind me asking.
UPRR engineer

Yeah, I know you wouldn't take a chance on damaging equipment or violate any important safety or operating rules.

You could probably win a Suggestion Award if you told them to hang a fusee holder inside the door at the start switch. Then the fusees wouldn't end up in the oily sump at the front of the engine and become unusable. Definite cost savings. Until the holders get applied why don't you show the guys at the pit the units with a collection of them in the sump. Tell them some fool must be blocking in the protector because it keeps tripping and suggest they fix the unit before the engine is badly damaged. You could become a hero....... again!