Railroad Forums 

• EMD SD80MAC and SD90MAC series official thread

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#763039  by MBTA1052

This was asked earlier in this topic but what is the status of the SD89MAC Demo out there??? Looking to buy. Another question about those SD90MAC or SD9043MAC Engines, could they work for Passenger Companies figuring they have extended rear portion.
 #862471  by D.Carleton

There are five former UP SD90MAC’s at Altoona and it has been reported they are to be rebuilt to SD70ACe specifications for a customer in Australia. What is interesting is NS has one hundred SD70ACe’s on order. The mechanical/electrical forces at Altoona shall gain intimate firsthand real-time experience with a locomotive class that does not yet exist on their company roster (and doing so with other-people‘s-money). Thinking ahead like this is what makes for good management, which makes for a great railroad.
 #862848  by MEC407

MBTA1052 wrote:Yea hats off to NS for working on MBTA Transit engines and now converting SD9043MACs to SD70ACes!!! :wink:
I thought these were real SD90MACs with the H engine, not SD90MAC convertibles (a.k.a. SD9043MAC)...
 #862863  by sd80mac

MEC407 wrote:
MBTA1052 wrote:Yea hats off to NS for working on MBTA Transit engines and now converting SD9043MACs to SD70ACes!!! :wink:
I thought these were real SD90MACs with the H engine, not SD90MAC convertibles (a.k.a. SD9043MAC)...

do u know the ex UP nbr of these?
 #862918  by D.Carleton

sd80mac wrote:
MEC407 wrote:
do u know the ex UP nbr of these?
They are reported to be the former UP 8522, 8527, 8539, 8541 & 8554 which, obviously, are phase two SD90MAC's and not the convertibles. I'm assuming the deltas between SD80 and SD90 electricals are minimal so harvesting them may be a good thing for the SD80MAC fleet. I wonder who gets the 265H engines?
 #862948  by MEC407

D.Carleton wrote:I wonder who gets the 265H engines?
Hopefully the next batch of Gillette Mach 3 razor blades. :wink:
 #862989  by D.Carleton

MEC407 wrote:
D.Carleton wrote:I wonder who gets the 265H engines?
Hopefully the next batch of Gillette Mach 3 razor blades. :wink:
Now, now, settle down. The 265H has had some success in marine applications. Look for these to be crated and shipped out to a shipyard for rebuilding and a new career. Remember, many an ALCo locomotive has been scrapped just so the boat boys could get the primemover.
 #863006  by MEC407

You're absolutely right, and I agree with you. You can't blame a GE fan for giving a little good-natured ribbing to the EMD fans every now and then. God knows they do it to us. :wink:
 #863008  by Allen Hazen

Re: "Remember, many an ALCo locomotive has been scrapped just so the boat boys could get the primemover."
---I'm sure MEC407 is aware of that fact. After all, some interesting GE locomotives have been scrapped to provide FDL (V228?) engines for tugboats! (Grin!)
--
Marine service is generally easier on a diesel engine than locomotive applications. The particular problems of EMD's earlier H-engines involved??? I think I remember something about heat flow in the engine walls? I'm not sure the marine environment would help with this, but maybe if the engines are also de-rated a bit. (EMD has, I take it, continued to put engineering effort into the H engine since UP's locomotives were built, and current production engines are probably better than the ones from these units.)
--
Speaking of the H engine and high horsepower locomotives... Are there any rumors abut how the Chinese railways are doing with their 6000 hp units?
 #863751  by sd80mac

D.Carleton wrote:
sd80mac wrote:do u know the ex UP nbr of these?
They are reported to be the former UP 8522, 8527, 8539, 8541 & 8554 which, obviously, are phase two SD90MAC's and not the convertibles. I'm assuming the deltas between SD80 and SD90 electricals are minimal so harvesting them may be a good thing for the SD80MAC fleet. I wonder who gets the 265H engines?
That's the easy answer...If it was outside 8500 series, it wouldn't be sd90mac...

Thats odd.. I thought that most of them were scrapped with few sold to leasers who lease them to few shortlines which send them back to leasers. I think Indiana RR have 2 of them.

What's the ACTUALY status of the sd90mac fleets? scrapped few, some or alot?? what leasers have them? what shortlines did actually bought them?

GEEZ... dont bring up that subject about that sd80mac!!! leave them alone!