EMD SD50 series official thread (covers all variations)

Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

emd_SD_60
Posts: 574
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:27 pm
Location: Carbondale, Illinois, USA

EMD SD50 series official thread (covers all variations)

Post by emd_SD_60 »

This engine later became SBD 8525, later CSX 8525. Was this a test bed for the SD60 series actually?

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=182724
Check out my [url=http://emd_sd_60.rrpicturearchives.net]train pix[/url]!

ExEMDLOCOTester

Re: EMDX SD50X 8525

Post by ExEMDLOCOTester »

emd_SD_60 wrote:This engine later became SBD 8525, later CSX 8525. Was this a test bed for the SD60 series actually?

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=182724
Yes it was. I recall starting this beast for the first time using a box full of test jumpers because the microprocessor modules were not finished being built.

Units in the consist. 8525, the old test car, SDP 40-2 # 218, 462's "B" unit, 462, and in the trail the 5740. The rear of the 218 was typically used as an indoor kitchen by the test car crew for grilling the all important Steaks & Potatoes. The test crew always insured the Train crew was well fed.

emd_SD_60
Posts: 574
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:27 pm
Location: Carbondale, Illinois, USA

Post by emd_SD_60 »

Did it have a 710 (was in all SD60's) or the 645 in it (was in all SD50's)? It's classified as a straight SD50, so it must have the latter. But if it was the testbed for the SD60, I think different.
Check out my [url=http://emd_sd_60.rrpicturearchives.net]train pix[/url]!

ExEMDLOCOTester

Post by ExEMDLOCOTester »

EMD-1 had the first 16-710 that I recall. All the EMD 1-10, 60 series had 710's. EMD 1-3 were SD 60, EMD 4-7 were GP 60's and EMD 8-10 were GP 59's.

U-Haul

Post by U-Haul »

CSXT SD60s are in the 8700 number slot. CSXT SD50s occupy the 8499 to 8699 number slot. EMD 1 was one of 4 SD60 test units built in 1984.
(Might be off by a year.)
http://www.trainweb.org/csxphotos/photo ... 8499cr.jpg
Last edited by U-Haul on Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

emd_SD_60
Posts: 574
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:27 pm
Location: Carbondale, Illinois, USA

Post by emd_SD_60 »

I think the 8525 is a true SD50, as it was built in March of 1984. IIRC the SD60 demos (EMD 1-3) were built later that summer. I have a Pentrex video of them doing work for the ATSF back in 1985. I think the 8525 was a promotional unit using a SD50.
Check out my [url=http://emd_sd_60.rrpicturearchives.net]train pix[/url]!

Bryanjones
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:49 am
Location: Kentucky

Re: EMDX SD50X 8525

Post by Bryanjones »

emd_SD_60 wrote:This engine later became SBD 8525, later CSX 8525. Was this a test bed for the SD60 series actually?

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=182724

The unit was and still is a standard SD50 mechanically, powered by a 645 series prime mover. This unit tested the microprocessor package which would be used on the 60 series locomotives. After briefly being used for test purposes by EMD it was delivered to SBD, without the microprocessor package. It was never classed as an SD50X.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY

ExEMDLOCOTester

Post by ExEMDLOCOTester »

After it was shipped from LaGrange I never seen it again...

ExEMDLOCOTester

Post by ExEMDLOCOTester »

U-Haul wrote:CSXT SD60s are in the 8700 number slot. CSXT SD50s occupy the 8499 to 8699 number slot. EMD 1 was one of 3 SD60 test units built in 1984.
(Might be off by a year.)
http://www.trainweb.org/csxphotos/photo ... 8499cr.jpg
Yes...

SSW9389
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:22 am
Location: Shelbyville, Kentucky

Post by SSW9389 »

EMD SD60 Demos #1-4 were built May-July 1984. The GP59 Demos #8-10 were built in June 1985. The GP60 Demos #5-7 were built in October 1985. Diesel Data from A J Kristopans GM Serial Number page. :wink:
emd_SD_60 wrote:I think the 8525 is a true SD50, as it was built in March of 1984. IIRC the SD60 demos (EMD 1-3) were built later that summer. I have a Pentrex video of them doing work for the ATSF back in 1985. I think the 8525 was a promotional unit using a SD50.
COTTON BELT: Runs like a Blue Streak!

SSW9389
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:22 am
Location: Shelbyville, Kentucky

Re: EMDX SD50X 8525

Post by SSW9389 »

As Bryan said the Seaboard System 8525 and the 8526 were microprocessor test units built by EMD in 3/84. Production data from A J Kristopans GM Serial Number Page. :wink:

Bryanjones wrote:
emd_SD_60 wrote:This engine later became SBD 8525, later CSX 8525. Was this a test bed for the SD60 series actually?

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=182724

The unit was and still is a standard SD50 mechanically, powered by a 645 series prime mover. This unit tested the microprocessor package which would be used on the 60 series locomotives. After briefly being used for test purposes by EMD it was delivered to SBD, without the microprocessor package. It was never classed as an SD50X.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY
COTTON BELT: Runs like a Blue Streak!

ExEMDLOCOTester

Post by ExEMDLOCOTester »

Where do you guys find all this stuff???? :-D

I spent most of my time shoveing choo choo's around and out the back gate.... Never had time to find where they went !!!!!! :wink:

ExEMDLOCOTester

Post by ExEMDLOCOTester »

SSW9389 wrote:EMD SD60 Demos #1-4 were built May-July 1984. The GP59 Demos #8-10 were built in June 1985. The GP60 Demos #5-7 were built in October 1985. Diesel Data from A J Kristopans GM Serial Number page. :wink:
emd_SD_60 wrote:I think the 8525 is a true SD50, as it was built in March of 1984. IIRC the SD60 demos (EMD 1-3) were built later that summer. I have a Pentrex video of them doing work for the ATSF back in 1985. I think the 8525 was a promotional unit using a SD50.
Sorry guys... I couldn't remember if we had 4 SD's or 4 GP's...

ExEMDLOCOTester

Post by ExEMDLOCOTester »

OK... I looked at A J Kristopans GM Serial Number page... What happened to EMD 3 ?????

Tadman
Posts: 9809
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:21 am

Post by Tadman »

Hey EMD, did you ever run into a guy by the name of Muren that helped design the electrical cabinet on those units? He used to work for us for a while in the late nineties, and it took my by total surprise that he was at EMD in the early 80's.
Dig the new rr.net Instagram account: @railroad_dot_net

Return to “EMD - Electro-Motive”