Railroad Forums 

• 1TB2630 & 1TB2830 TM's

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#537313  by williamforestor

Hi,

Anyone happened to know about the supplier or manufacturer of two type of Traction motors 1TB2630 and 1TB2830 which are used in SD70ACe and SD80MAC, respectively?

Thanks,
William.

#537323  by DutchRailnut

Siemens I believe.

#537449  by bogieman

William,

1TB2630 and 1TB2830 are Siemens designations for the traction motors they designed to match their inverters used by EMD in the 60/70MAC, and 80/90MAC, respectively. However, Siemens only manufactured the 60MAC motors; the others were all manufactured by EMD in the London, ONT plant. The 26 and 28 in the model number denotes the diameter, the 30 in each denotes the core length, both are close to the inch dimensions but not exactly.

Dave

#537583  by williamforestor

Tnx for the appropriate info which u gentlemen provided to me!

I have already made a hard try to find the offical website for these two motor types , however I found nothing.
So, anyone know anything abt it?

With Regards,
William.

#537606  by bogieman

williamforestor wrote:Tnx for the appropriate info which u gentlemen provided to me!

I have already made a hard try to find the offical website for these two motor types , however I found nothing.
So, anyone know anything abt it?

With Regards,
William.
I doubt there is any public information about these motors other than a Maintenance Instruction EMD would publish. The motors were specifically designed for the application by Siemens, to match their inverter characteristics and the performance requirements. EMD designed the gears, gearcase, support bearing arrangement, and motor nose support. The pinion end bearing is lubricated by the gearcase oil while a sealed, grease-lubricated bearing is used at the non-gear end. EMD manufactured the motors under license from Siemens which probably limits EMD's ability to sell the motors to third parties. EMD at this point is only supplying service parts and rebuild for these motors, as the SD70ACe uses a motor totally designed by EMD, size-wise between the two Siemens motors.

FWIW, the DE/DM30AC's use a 1TB2622 motor while units built for India use a 1TB2620 motor so there are other motors in the family.

Dave

#537923  by williamforestor

Dave,

Thanks a lot again for all good info u provided to me.
So, I think I need to find a friend in either EMD or Siemens corporations to get the TECH INFO which I'm looking for!

BTW, can I have ur e-mail addr. for further connection regarding railway applications?
I hope we can share some applicable info to each other.

Awaiting with Regards,
William.
 #808823  by prakash

Dave,

Diesel Loco Works, Varanasi, India (DLW) will produce licensed version of SD80MAC in 2011.

DLW already has license to manufacture 16-710G3B power plant, transition is expected to be smooth.

They had separate licensing agreements with EMD and Siemens when they produced copies of SD70MAC, called as GT46MAC by EMD and Siemens.

TMs are supplied by Siemens from factory in India. Few years back, Siemens supplied IGBT circuits to DLW that control one TM per inverter bank and simultaneously boosted throughput to 4,500 HP.

DLW experimented with passenger version of GT46MAC, called GT46PAC with B1-1B combo and 1,000 HP TMs by Siemens. It was designated as WDP4. So there certainly exists another variation of 1TB2830 TM for Indian market (1TB2820??) but I do not know the details. This experiment was flop because Indian Railway has 22+ coaches passenger trains with just one loco at the head and loco was limited to only 20 ton axle load reducing TE significantly.

Now they have another variety called WDP4B. It is six motor loco, uses same TMs used in GT46MAC with different gear ratio and software modified to match it. It works good. With that, they replaced SIBAS16 and EM-2000 with locally developed computer system with local software (EMD and Siemens would not give them access to source code for tweaking and tuning).

SD70MAC did not use Electronic Fuel Injection system but SD80MAC did. So EMD will have another Transfer of Technology agreement.

Regards,

Prakash