Railroad Forums 

• Production of F59PHI's

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#521666  by Mr.CommuterRail

Are they still in production? Word out on the streets coming from a reliable soarce was that the MBCR in Boston is getting F59PHI's with their new order of locomotives... Others are saying they are no longer inproduction... The first locomotives will be coming by 2009. Any idea?

#521731  by masscoastalfan

no i am positive they are getting MP36 or MP40 models from MPI. the f59 went out of production years ago and EMD isn't really in the passenger locomotive buisness anymore
 #521735  by mbta1051dan

Mr.CommuterRail wrote:Are they still in production? Word out on the streets coming from a reliable soarce was that the MBCR in Boston is getting F59PHI's with their new order of locomotives... Others are saying they are no longer inproduction... The first locomotives will be coming by 2009. Any idea?
Who told you that?

-Dan

#521757  by Mr.CommuterRail

Due to reliablity perpouses I can't give out names as mbta officials frequently check these forums..

Who told you MP36's? I havn't heard them been discussed by employees as of yet i dont think.

thanks.

#521816  by DutchRailnut

MBTA took a option of MP40's by Motive Power see MBTA forum.
The option was taken about a year ago.

#521948  by MEC407

I would say you need to find a different "reliable source."

The F59PHI is no longer in production, as has been mentioned, and EMD wouldn't be able to bring it back because it wouldn't meet present-day crashworthiness standards. I guess they could build something similar but it would have to be an "F59PHI-2" and probably wouldn't look the same. But at this point they really have no incentive to build such a thing. MPI has become the dominant builder of passenger locomotives in North America, with customers including CalTrain, FrontRunner, GO Transit, Metra, Metrolink, and RailRunner.

#523265  by tomjohn

OK, I guess that it's time for some people/companies to become inventive ! Not that they are these days...

#524604  by QuietGuy

You have to remember that it takes several million dollars to design a new locomotive, with computer analysis of crash worthiness, investigation of vibration issues, developing new parts and suppliers for those parts. This occurs with every locomotive order, even if it is a "standard model" like an SD-70ACe. No two orders are identical (EMD - Every Model Different), the locomotive continuously is being changed, to fix problems that showed up after the inital design, or to meet some customer requirement, or because an old part became obsolete or a better design was finally developed.
With existing ongoing orders, EMD doesn't have the resources to develope a new passenger locomotive which would only have a five or six in the order, and keep up-to-date on the freight orders with hundreds of units.
Plus the Long Island Locomotives left a bad image - the executives that forced through that order were all forced out (retired early). Nobody wants to go through that again with passenger locomotives.

#524628  by tomjohn

I agree QuietGuy,however,I think we all know it takes money to make money and orders to generate sales. I think that shouldn't keep companies from finding alternatives and thinking. Look at what I.C.G./I.C.RR did with used and worn out SW's,SD24's,GP7's and GP9's.(GP8's,GP10's,SW13's,SW'14's and SD20's)
I don't think it would be that hard for any company to be inventive! Anyone here remember EMD'S rebuilt GP9 which was labeled a BL20-2 ?