Railroad Forums 

• 'i' for isolated cab & cowling on the left side gangway

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#487083  by .Taurus.

Hello

Is this really a SD 60 I ?
Because there is no gap in the nose , which in my eyes indicates an isolated cab.
This is also a former Conrail SD 60 I and the gap is clearly visible in front of the windschield.

Or is the gap a result of heavy repair works after crossing accidents for example? (Like the modified nose on Amtraks P 42 DC)

--------------------------------------------------

Whats under the cowling , that reach from the ventilation grille down to the gangway (where the handrails of the left side gangway makes a bow)?
All EMDs (GP- and SD-series) have these cowling, but what's behind it?

And by the way, does the ventilation grille (under which the cowling begins) in this example (SD 60 I) contain the dynamic brake?
Because I miss here (and at all newer EMD models) the more streamlined dynamic brake cases, which I know from older EMD diesel veterans.

Bye :-D
 #487153  by trainmaster_1

.Taurus. wrote:Hello

Whats under the cowling , that reach from the ventilation grille down to the gangway (where the handrails of the left side gangway makes a bow)?
All EMDs (GP- and SD-series) have these cowling, but what's behind it?

And by the way, does the ventilation grille (under which the cowling begins) in this example (SD 60 I) contain the dynamic brake?
Because I miss here (and at all newer EMD models) the more streamlined dynamic brake cases, which I know from older EMD diesel veterans.

Bye :-D
That is the traction motor blower duct.
 #487411  by MEC407

.Taurus. wrote:Is this really a SD 60 I ?
That is a SD60M. The photographer labeled the photo incorrectly.