Railroad Forums 

• GP9u cab photos?

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#480224  by Plate F

I am looking for pictures of what companies are doing to their gp9 control stands. I have seen them vary so much, and am looking to find one that is as logical as the one in mind. Thanks for any photos in advance.

#481765  by ENR3870

Control stand on ex-CN 7059. Still set up to run long hood forward.

#495836  by Engineer Spike

As you can see from the photos, the CP rebuilds have a home built control stand. My former trainmaster was from the mechanical dept. He said the reason for this was that some of the units had the "can" control stands. The other problem was that they had 24RL brakes, with the stand mounted on the floor. They needed a a stand to put in the 26 brake valve.
The horn is mounted at about knee level. Some have it mounted on the top of the control stand. That was how it was on one of the two units on the geometry train.

#495897  by DutchRailnut

Looks like a standard new type EMD control stand to me, we use same on CDOT FL-9's the horn is the lever with tags on it, at your knee would be where cab signal acknowleds button is.
 #770219  by Engineer Spike

The one in the last post must be a CN unit. The post before that had 3 links. They show a CP unit with the home built control stand. From the looks of it, it was one assigned to switching service. The ones still assigned to road service have D/B and slightly fancier cabs.
 #939412  by dash7

Hi All,
A little off the subject does anyone know why they only run a max of 27psi in their brake cyl pressure?,(reading the sticker on top of the windshield) as normal emd's we have at work have 47psi (325kpa)for independent brake cylinders and 72.5 psi(500kpa) train pipe exept the GT46Ace we run 72.5 psi in the brake cylinders.
 #939873  by rrboomer

CP runs 27 lb brk cyl pressure on their four axle units. They use a composition brake shoe about the same length as the old passenger car shoe. It gives decent stopping power and one has to work at sliding wheels. D&H runs 72 lb brk cyl on their (single shoe) four axle units. Soo runs 38 lbs on their GP38's; 45 on the ex Milw GP38's and ex SOO/Milw GP40's, MP15's are 40 lbs. All 6 axle units are 72 lbs. Some CP four axle units have, at times, been assigned to the Soo. When they needed brake shoes they get the same regular size as any other Soo unit but kept the 27 lb pressure. They sometimes end up in the next zip code before you can get stopped.

rrb
 #939896  by dash7

Ha Ha,
Thanks for the reply,
Wow i did'nt realise that different railroads use different pressures and four axles and six axle's have different pressures.
regards, Derek
 #959248  by ENR3870

rrboomer wrote:CP runs 27 lb brk cyl pressure on their four axle units. They use a composition brake shoe about the same length as the old passenger car shoe. It gives decent stopping power and one has to work at sliding wheels. D&H runs 72 lb brk cyl on their (single shoe) four axle units. Soo runs 38 lbs on their GP38's; 45 on the ex Milw GP38's and ex SOO/Milw GP40's, MP15's are 40 lbs. All 6 axle units are 72 lbs.
rrb
CN runs 40 lbs on our units with double shoes, and 72 to 80 lbs on units with single shoes.
Engineer Spike wrote:The one in the last post must be a CN unit. The post before that had 3 links. They show a CP unit with the home built control stand.
Yes, the one I posted is a CN GP9 switcher unit. They have CN homebuilt control stands. Our GP9 Road Switchers have the same control stand but run short hood forward. Even though both road switcher and switcher versions have chopped short hoods, the switchers run long hood forward.