Railroad Forums 

• EMD Builders plates

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#361881  by ExEMDLOCOTester

I have seen lotsa power rolling around without Builder Plates...... I wonder why........ :(

#361897  by Brad Smith

There are a couple on ebay at the moment. One was off an EL/CR/CSX unit that is still active. I wondered how he got the plate too.

#361902  by ExEMDLOCOTester

Peeling Builder Plates offa active choo - choo's is akin to someone ripping your VIN tag outta your dash......

I hate seeing a Locomotive that has suffered identity theft !!!!!

#361917  by metman499

I am usually shocked to see a loco with a builders on it. I recently saw an ex-CN GP40-2 with one and there was a small photoline to get a shot of just the plate mounted on the loco. I think the fact that the plates are always stolen is why GE went to that sticker (I haven't seen any EMDs up close to know what they are now doing).

#365619  by geep39

It amazes me that people think that when there is a builder's plate on a locomotive, they think that they're entitled to it! Or, I gotta get that plate before someone else does! Duuhh!

On another note, how about searching that moldy stack of builders plates for ones that belong on PRESERVED locos? A Reading one showed up recently on eBay, and someone sucked it up, not to be seen anywhere NEAR the loco it belongs to.

Sadly, I'm afraid that these things will end up with "that train junk" in people's estates, only to be thrown away.

#365823  by RAS

eBay has had some good effects on the railroad collectibles market by extending your reach to find things that you otherwise would have never seen, but it has also had some very bad effects by driving the prices of some items right through the roof with historically important items going to the most affluent collectors to be held out of sight until they die and the cycle repeats again.

#370932  by sd80mac

ExEMDLOCOTester wrote:I have seen lotsa power rolling around without Builder Plates...... I wonder why........ :(
newer one are now in stickers... wondering how easy can they peel off since traincrews could play around with the CSX letter stickers..

NOT THAT IM SAYING THAT IM THINKING OFF!!! I hope that if someone tried to peek sticker off new GE, it would rip instead of peeled off..

#371099  by Tadman

It's not EMD, but I have a 5' long 80# cast iron builder's plate from a Shepard Niles crane, which was distantly related to BLW. It's always been my opinion that my SN builders plate is the king of all builder's plates.

#371125  by sd80mac

sd80mac wrote: newer one are now in stickers...
While I posted this message, I did not realized that this is an EMD forum... Obviously a link lead me to this forum.

now for sd70m-2/ace, are they using similar sticker for builder "plate"?? (I'm pretty sure that it is no longer called builder plate. what are they called now? I dont believe they would call this "builder sticker" lol)

#374468  by AVR Mark

I have one EMD builders plate which I bought at the B&O RR Museum in Baltimore almost 25 years ago and it is from PRR 2367. Now I know where the other one is. I bought it (they had 3 or 4) because it was the oldest one they had.

Mark