Railroad Forums 

• Ex-Canadien National SW-1200's, and a question..............

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#318996  by GOLDEN-ARM

EDM5970 wrote: Hey, how about those NC&StL GP-7s on switcher trucks? You got an explaination for those?
Trade-ins?

#319010  by mxdata

Going back to the switcher question, Amtrak's switchers do get used in passenger service on rare occasions, usually as rescue engines or power for ferry movements when there is a section of damaged wire on the NEC.

#319022  by ExEMDLOCOTester

EDM5970 wrote:All of Amtrak's regular road service is passenger trains. Why would they use switchers to handle passenger trains in road service? And MoW really doesn't qualify as road service.

Some of you F1Cs come up with some really crazy ideas-

Hey, how about those NC&StL GP-7s on switcher trucks? You got an explaination for those?
What is a "F1Cs" ???????

#319332  by EDM5970

Foamer First Class

And notice that I qualified my Amtrak comment with "regular" service-

#319521  by ExEMDLOCOTester

Thanks !!!

I'Da never guessed...
 #324169  by EDM5970

OK, here's my educated speculation.

A perusal of the Fallen Flags L&N drawings, (known to have errors, BTW) shows the units as weighing only 230,000 lbs., compared to some of the other L&N GP-7s with weights ranging from 244,000 to 252,000 pounds. The GP-7L had only 800 gallons of fuel, while the other GP-7s carried 1100 gallons. I don't have a list of weights available at the computer right now, but I imagine a switcher truck would weigh less than a Blomberg. They cost less, just ask the NKP.

All of the above points to a unit built as a lightweight, to be used on lighter rail. The fact that the units were built with friction bearings and schedule 6-BL brakes may support the idea that the GP-7Ls were considered as switchers, but also may have been a cost savings as well; friction and 6 air was cheaper than rollers and 24RL.

I'll go with the idea of road power for some less-than-mainline track. Does anyone really know for sure?