Railroad Forums 

• Rebuilt BNSF 2035

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#260342  by TRNBUF

My Dad(Jim) caught this coming through Nashville, IL yesterday
(06/19/06). This is the Evansville & Western Rail Lines, ex-CSX
that runs through town.

BNSF 2035 GP38-2
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=408994

I believe they might have picked this up at the NRE Mt. Vernon, IL shops
since this line runs right by it. Does anyone know if there is more
being rebuilt and where they might be possibly heading. It is very
rare to ever see something like this come through town, quite a
shock.

Here are the rest of the photos from that day as well.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=409003
Last edited by TRNBUF on Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#261556  by GN 599

Does anyone know what it was rebuilt from. Looks like its got an air conditioning unit on the top of the cab like an R.V. :P

#261566  by LCJ

I don't know for sure, but it looks to me like it used to be a GP35. That fuel filler area reminds me of the GP35s I've known in my day.

Like this one here:

#264842  by Wanderer

BNSF is basically remanufacturing anything, and everything that is on their four axle yard/local roster into a 'GP38-2'. So far NRE has turned them out from GP35's along with GP7's and GP9's for BNSF Railway. I think a GP18 slipped in there also during the process. Either way, they all come out as a 'GP38-2'.

Messed up, but talk about saving money through recycling...

#265836  by Bryanjones

Wanderer wrote:BNSF is basically remanufacturing anything, and everything that is on their four axle yard/local roster into a 'GP38-2'. So far NRE has turned them out from GP35's along with GP7's and GP9's for BNSF Railway. I think a GP18 slipped in there also during the process. Either way, they all come out as a 'GP38-2'.

Messed up, but talk about saving money through recycling...
that is far from correct. While NRE is using a handful of GP35's as core units for this GP38-2 rebuild project, NONE of them are being rebuilt from first generation units such as GP7's, 9's or 18's. Those units are far different from the newer units which are being used for the program and would be much more difficult to rebuild into a GP38-2 type. The units that are being used as core units in this rebuild program are GP35's, GP38's, GP40's and a pair of GP38-2's.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY

#265837  by byte

GN 599 wrote:Does anyone know what it was rebuilt from. Looks like its got an air conditioning unit on the top of the cab like an R.V. :P
That's an increasingly standard item. They cost less than a "built-in" air conditioner (plus this engine was already built, so there's not much of a way to build it in...) and from the looks of it, is probably a bit more modular when it needs to be worked on.

#267890  by trainiac

That's an increasingly standard item. They cost less than a "built-in" air conditioner (plus this engine was already built, so there's not much of a way to build it in...) and from the looks of it, is probably a bit more modular when it needs to be worked on.
I found a photo in a book of a mechanic working on the air conditioner of a Dash-8. This required reaching far into the confines of the cabinet behind the cab, and it looks far from pleasant! I would imagine roof-top air conditioners are much more maintenance-friendly.

RE: The model of BNSF 2035: It was indeed rebuilt from a GP35. Things like the thick side frame, fishbelly main frame, stamped air intake and triple louver sets on the battery box scream "early GP35" to me.

#267913  by chicagorails

was in clinton iowa last month and bnsf has a new rebuilt 38 special there,what a beaut !!!

#269188  by GOLDEN-ARM

LCJ wrote:I don't know for sure, but it looks to me like it used to be a GP35. That fuel filler area reminds me of the GP35s I've known in my day.

Like this one here:
Yeah, that filler, and that small fan, centered between the two larger ones, on the CR model, and the space is obvious, on the BNSF picture, where the third fan used to reside......... :-D

#269686  by GN 599

I like our 39M,E's and K's that retain that small middle fan. Some of the rebuilt GP30's have em too. From what I understand they were rebuilt with all the same parts and updated electricals, basicly 1988-90 model GP30-35. The most heavily modified ones were picked ex Southern units that they took the cab off acct of the high nose (GP30's) and put a normal cab on, with the classic GP30 body lines on the rest of the locomotive. Like alot of people have said before, only on the BNSF.....