Inside EMD

Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

dcm74

Post by dcm74 »

While Inside EMD is temporarily in retirement, you might enjoy seeing another of Mr. Cook"s programs, What's In Those Covered Wagons. It's not a full factory tour but you do get to see locomotives being built.

There will be a showing of What's In Those Covered Wagons at the Palmer, MA, Public Library on Thursday April 27th at 6:00PM. This gives everyone a chance to see the program, check out the library and visit the Steaming Tender for dinner.

PCook

Post by PCook »

dcm74, Thanks for your posting on the upcoming showing of the Covered Wagons program, and also for the excellent support that your group always provides for their guest speakers. I am looking forward to the presentation in Palmer, it is a great location and the library there is an excellent new facility with a very nice meeting room.
Last edited by PCook on Sat May 30, 2009 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PCook

Post by PCook »

-----
Last edited by PCook on Sat May 30, 2009 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ExEMDLOCOTester

Inside EMD

Post by ExEMDLOCOTester »

Hi Paul, its good to see that a former co-worker is telling the EMD story. I joined railroad.net a few hours ago and found this fourm. Looking at the pictures posted brings back many pleasant memories of traveling through the "Big Bay" seeing a Locomotive trucked at the begining of the afternoon shift. I also remember the horror of returning from a lengthy out of town project, traveling down 55th st and seeing the plant GONE. Working at EMD as a Locomotive Tester was the highlight of my career. I remember the MBTA "Easter Eggs" order that you now watch over in Boston. I hope the old girls are doing well.

ExEMDLOCOTester

Re: Inside EMD

Post by ExEMDLOCOTester »

ExEMDLOCOTester wrote:Hi Paul, its good to see that a former co-worker is telling the EMD story. I joined railroad.net a few hours ago and found this fourm. Looking at the pictures posted brings back many pleasant memories of traveling through the "Big Bay" seeing a Locomotive trucked at the begining of the afternoon shift. I also remember the horror of returning from a lengthy out of town project, traveling down 55th st and seeing the plant GONE. Working at EMD as a Locomotive Tester was the highlight of my career. I remember the MBTA "Easter Eggs" order that you now watch over in Boston. I hope the old girls are doing well.
Preston Cook..... My Apologies for addressing you as Paul...

PCook

Post by PCook »

Thanks very much for your note! I hope you will get to see the program sometime. My travel range has been a bit limited lately by the very high cost of fuel, but I still do get out around EMD's home turf once in a while.

I can sure appreciate the feeling on seeing the plant gone. On a visit to the area last year I drove my car where the high bay used to be, now it is a parking lot for an adjacent business.

PC

PCook

Post by PCook »

My thanks to the folks at CSRM for the excellent turnout recently for a staff showing of the INSIDE EMD program on short notice, and to Art and Dennis for their time and effort in showing me the museum.

dcm74

Before EMD

Post by dcm74 »

While it's definitely NOT EMD anyone who has a chance might enjoy seeing one of Preston Cook's other programs. All Amherst Railway Society meetings are open to the public and are free of charge.

http://www.amherstrail.org/meeting2006.10.html

PCook

Post by PCook »

-----
Last edited by PCook on Sat May 30, 2009 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PCook

Post by PCook »

An update on 2007 activities: INSIDE EMD will be shown in summer 2007 at the NMRA National Convention in Detroit.
Last edited by PCook on Sat May 30, 2009 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the missing link

Post by the missing link »

I was at the presentation in Thomaston Ct, and enjoyed it very much. It was long and detailed, but the subject deserves the coverage. I likened it to a training seminar as stated, for what its worth, I would be more than happy to contribute 10-20 $ to admission to see it again, given Mr. Cooks efforts and the price of fuel to get there. I have several friends and railroad co -workers who have also shown interest. Looking foward to another one in the greater New York area.

PCook

Post by PCook »

Thanks for the nice comments about the showing at RMNE, it was an excellent event in an ideal setting and the museum did a really nice job of organizing it.
Last edited by PCook on Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PCook

Post by PCook »

The showing of INSIDE EMD for the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society is presently scheduled for Sunday April 1 at their spring meeting in Parsippany, New Jersey.

PC

Phil Hom

Post by Phil Hom »

Here's additional information on Mr. Cook's presentation.

ELHS 2007 Eastern Spring Meeting
Sunday April 1, 2007
Holiday Inn
Route 46
Parsippany, New Jersey

NOTE: I have NOT seen it yet, hopefully some day I will.

Phil Hom
Washington DC region.

PCook

Post by PCook »

Phil, thanks for your posting about the ELHS meeting.
Last edited by PCook on Sat May 30, 2009 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “EMD - Electro-Motive”