Railroad Forums 

• Bests Switch Engine

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#14437  by SD45Jim

What is the best switch engine of all time?

Would it be a simple switcher?
Would it be a Geep converted into a switcher?
Would it be a multi-purpose locomotive, like the MP-15?

Thanks!

Jim Sherwin

#14499  by EDM5970

An Alco S-4 or a T-6! The right weight, 120 tons or so, and a fuel efficient 4 cycle engine. Only 1000 HP, but the weight is more important (for t.e.) than HP in switching. Also, the Alcos respond a lot quicker than the EMDs.

#14567  by missthealcos

I would have to cast a vote for the SW1200 in all it's forms, these things are STILL working for class ones, even after newer switchers have started to go. The Alco's were impressive, but they have all long since been relegated to shortlines or industrials...although in many cases they are quite a bit older.
 #14628  by jmp883

The SW1200. Classic EMD switcher looks and enough hp to handle a small road train if necessary. The SW1500 is too bulky looking, and even though Geeps are used for switching, they just don't have the appeal that a classic SW has.

Joe P :D
Long Live The EL

#14914  by Alcoman

Best Switcher.....

ALCO T-6 HANDS DOWN! :wink:

NW2

#15395  by SD45Jim

How good of a switcher was the NW2?

It seems strange that so many people in the EMD forum like the ALCO locomotives! :wink: Why? I always thought EMD locomotives were better!

Are there are ALCO switchers left?

Jim Sherwin

#15456  by EDM5970

Jim stated that "It seems strange that so many people on the EMD forum like the ALCO locomotives". Well, the "best switcher" question was asked on the EMD forum, so that seems like the best place for an honest answer. (And I don't post on the Alco forum-)

#15542  by MEC407

Theoretically, the MP15T ought to have been the best switcher that EMD ever built. But I've never run one so I can't say for sure. ;)

The GP15D and GP20D look great on paper, but even though they're marketed by EMD, they don't have EMD prime movers inside -- so I don't really consider them EMD locomotives.

#15615  by mxdata

Do I have to maintain these locomotives? Is their reliability more important than their fuel consumption? If so, I will take the MP15AC and I can relax in the office and watch my locomotives pull freight cars. No turbocharger, no microprocessors, a reliable control system, and an AC traction alternator that was built for far more horsepower than the engine can develop.

You guys who like the units with DC main generators can keep them, thanks! I have had to work on too many of them to want to stick with that technology.

#15674  by Hoosier Joe

Can it do the work it's owner wants it to do ? My employer is pleased with its 1948 NW2.You should see some of the newer Rube Goldburg machinery we have at the grain elevator. Joe G.
 #19726  by EDM5970

I thought I was pretty knowledgable on Alcos, EMDs and repowerings, but I'm not familiar at all with the SDD-20. Is this a real unit, or some "foamer fantasy"? If so, maybe it belongs on one of the model train forums.

#19809  by txbritt

Lol @ "Foamer Fantasy"

#19833  by TerryC

How do you erase unwanted posts? I know there is a delete sign on the second post, but not the first.

http://trainiaxindex.cjb.net/

keep asking, keep learning