Railroad Forums 

• Turbo barking and flaming stacks

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#200319  by trainiac

In the topic relating to a video of 13 EMD's, a discussion came up about turbo "barking". Well, I heard turbo barking first-hand for the first time today on St. Lawrence & Atlantic GP40 3202 (leased long-term from LLPX). Every 2 seconds or so, the unit (in run 8 with a bunch of other 40-series units) would decrease in rpm, "bark", and send out smoke and--somewhat surprising--about a foot-tall stack fire. It was after dark and the effect was quite something, although the smoke was not quite Alco-esque.

If the unit remains in the railroad's mainline consist, it'll pass again in 2 days, at which point I will see about recording it on tape and/or on film.

#200555  by MEC407

Very interesting! Sounds like this unit has multiple personality disorder and thinks it's a GE U-Series. :wink:

#200870  by trainiac

Turbo barking! The SLR 3202 passed again tonight as the third locomotive in a 5-unit consist on St. Lawrence & Atlantic's daily eastbound freight (394). It was doing the same things as before--only this time I managed to get a low-quality video. At 9 and at 11 seconds into the video, turbo barking (a "whoof") can be heard, and at 12 seconds there's a bit of a glow from the stack fire. The varying rpm can be also heard.

I had no time to set up before the train came--if it passes again in 2 days I'll see if I can get a better overhead view.

http://trainiax.net/videos/videoslr-2006-01-02-803.AVI

#254176  by QR National

Ive seen this on a Santa Fe SD45-2 on a DVD. Decrease in RPM, a "Whoooow!" followed by a huge cloud of black smoke. About every 15 seconds.

#255968  by rocketman

clean em' out with some Uncle Ben's

#257865  by emd_SD_60

Speaking of turbo problems, looks like today I caught a IC SD40 as the newest victim. This was the 6052, formerly the GM&O 903.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=403964

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=403967

Didn't seem to hear any "barking", it was running ok.

#258268  by trainiac

Speaking of turbo problems, looks like today I caught a IC SD40 as the newest victim. This was the 6052, formerly the GM&O 903.
Could be turbo problems--could also have something to do with the governor or fuel system. Often, locomotives with more serious turbo problems will periodically put out a puff of very black smoke.

#258918  by emd_SD_60

Today I saw an Amtrak P42 shooting flames and smoking like crazy. The locomotive was sitting still in the siding in front of the Amshack here in town, and I guess they were getting it ready for the trip to Chicago. BTW, they usually leave the engine idling overnight.
 #429393  by rfederle

I cant speak of Locomotive experience but I have 22 years EMD experience with 567's and 645's. On Marine engines there is a screen fitted in the adapter from the Exhaust Manifold to Turbo Inlet (Turbo Inlet Screen). Many Locomotives have a cleanout flange on this adapter to prevent having to pull the entire adapter. These will clog with carbon build up and restrict the flow of exhaust gases. When this happens it will cause, what can best be described as a form of "backfire" (for lack of a better term).

Idling for long periods is the worst thing for an EMD (or any other medium speed Diesel engine). It will lead to incomplete combustion and in time a stack fire. Turbo "Honking" cna actually be felt as well. I have been in the Engine Room and had turbos honk and actually feel the engine shake. This is not good.

Robetr Federle

#430630  by NV290

The turbo "Barking" is exactly what is described above. It's the turbo inlet screen badly in need of cleaning.
 #430647  by rfederle

Thank you NV290,

I appreciate the reinforcement of my statement. I have now been away from EMD's for 10 years and man do I miss 'em.

Thanks again.

Robert Federle

#501084  by mbta1051dan

on the trainiax video, the turbo barking on the 3202 sounds like the sound when I take my foot off of the gas pedal on my dad's subaru wrx, which is turbocharged. you hear the turbo spool up, then whoof, as i push in the clutch.

-Dan

#508432  by trainiac

on the trainiax video, the turbo barking on the 3202 sounds like the sound when I take my foot off of the gas pedal on my dad's subaru wrx, which is turbocharged. you hear the turbo spool up, then whoof, as i push in the clutch.
Kind of a similar concept, except in the case of the WRX it's actually intended. In the case of 3202, it was not supposed to do that, and I believe it has received mechanical work since the video. I heard that (at least for a while) it was restricted to local service because of its engine issues in run-8, including turbo barking and a tendancy to spew oil. I was told that the oil problem led to slippery walkways...

(In passing, I drive a Subaru too)
 #509447  by mbta1051dan

Really Mike, Subaru's a nice car. Is it a WRX?

Now for a rather preposterous request...

Can anyone post their links (YouTube, or audio samples)...get ready...for the loudest, best (or worst if you're the engineer) sounding, most obnoxious, imbalanced good old noisy EMD turbos working upgrade. What's the noisiest YOU've ever heard? Passenger and/or freight?

-Dan

#509459  by GOLDEN-ARM

I'm not sure about those sound files. If a turbo was so severely unbalanced, that the sound became noticable in the cab, I would be recording the sound of the impending explosion, of the turbine. Turbo barks are sometimes amusing to listen to, but they usually come with reduced horsepower, and therefore, a slower than desired run. Since the sound has to travel through the turbo, and then out the stack, they all pretty much would have the same DB level, as heard from trackside.
The sounds from something like a SD-40-2 struggling upgrade, under a heavy load makes a lot of different sounds in the cab, than to the observer sitting at trackside. The vibrations, the humming of the motors, the roar of the engine, and the rattling and squeeks are a concert to some, an annoyance to others. (I prefer the melodies of a large engine, struggling to make the summit, with the windows wide open.... :-D )The sounds are best enjoyed with some foam earplugs in your ears, and I haven't had any luck trying to capture the sounds in the cab, that sound like what's actually being heard. Some type of noise limiting mic must be needed, and even then, the recording might be difficult. :(