Railroad Forums 

• EMD engines - P/V diagrams?

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1488186  by Oscar

Hello all,

Thanks for accepting me here at the forum. I'm a mechanical engineer from Argentina and work mostly with towboats fitted with EMD engines.

I have developed with some colleagues a protocol to measure engine and propulsion performance, which is mostly based on recording the engine P-V diagram along with RPM and shaft torque (with a strain gauge). The thing is, I haven't been able to find factory test reports or any other parameter to compare my results with. I couldnt find any of this info in the engine manuals either. I think that with reference values of Indicated Mean Effective Pressure and Break Mean Effective Pressure would be enough for me.

As an example, two engines I will have to measure in the near future are 16-645E7B and 16-645F4B.

It appears that there is a lot of experience with EMD engines here at this forum, so I was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction to try to find this info.

Thanks!

Oscar
 #1488392  by RickRackstop

Try contacting Stewart & Stevenson of Houston, Texas. They should have all the data needed to design propellers including torsional data so the shaft won't break . Valley Diesel of California also has a lot of marine experience especially with ferries. I don't know what the details are but EMD is still building something called R645 (possibly remanufactured engines similar the UTEX engines) that are going into some new ATB tugs for Bouchard Transporrtation.
 #1488786  by Oscar

RickRack thanks for the reply. I´ll contact Stewart and Stevenson for propeller info.

About EMD engines PMI reference info, does anyone know where can I find this data?