Railroad Forums 

• Overspeed trip test

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#151235  by siti baizura

try to find overspeed trip test for 22 classs EMD - 1500RPM - it is a tester equipment for safety device connected to Fuel Rack - can u help?

#153273  by UPRR engineer

Open the engine doors and rev the crap out of it with the lay shaft. That will trip the over speed lever.
 #153595  by siti baizura

UPRR engineer wrote:Open the engine doors and rev the crap out of it with the lay shaft. That will trip the over speed lever.
ghee..thanks but i'm looking for the test equipment to test this o/speed trip b4 install to the engine....Not the item itself...anyway i'm not a boy. :P

#153636  by UPRR engineer

I wasnt calling you a boy, its my sig. :wink:

Sorry i couldnt help you with the overspeed test. My head has spent a good deal of time inside the engine doors, i dont believe there is a test, i could be wrong tho. If it keeps kicking at low RPM might have a bad governor, changing the oil might help also, before you decide to yank it out. What exactly is going on with your motor?
 #153645  by siti baizura

UPRR engineer wrote:I wasnt calling you a boy, its my sig. :wink:

Sorry i couldnt help you with the overspeed test. My head has spent a good deal of time inside the engine doors, i dont believe there is a test, i could be wrong tho. If it keeps kicking at low RPM might have a bad governor, changing the oil might help also, before you decide to yank it out. What exactly is going on with your motor?
i'm working on a railway project & need to find equipment required for their workshop, where this o/speed test is one of them. This is for the use of engine 22 class & earlier...dunno whether the testing equip still exist or not...this is a 100 yrs old rail co..sigh! :(

#154873  by nickleinonen

i am not 100% sure what engine you are working on, but normally overspeed is about 10% above engine rated speed [stamped on governor data plate]

to check the overspeed [all i work on is 567/645/710 engines and they are all the same method], you need either a mechanical tach or a photo tach. with the mechanical tack, go to the right side of the engine and by the governor electrical connection in the end cover [the overspeed housing] there is a small cover there held down by a pair of 3/8" screws. loosen both off and you can swing the cover out of the way... you can insert the mechanical tach into the end of the overspeed mechanism and read the engine speed... set up the cab with the loco in run, GF switch down and full independent brakes and hand brakes applied for safety and throttle the engine to N8. put your tach into the overspeed housing and read engine speed... now have someone slowly push down on the layshaft and throttle the engine until overspeed trips while you watch the tach. if it is too high, open up the cover on the overspeed housing and back off the spring tension on the assembly. if it is too low, tighten the spring.. repeat to get to desired overspeed setup.

the setup wih the photo tach is siimilar, but you just put a piece of reflective tape on the engine flywheel or accessory compressor driveshaft and aim the sensor at the tape mark to get the reading... the mechanical tach seems to work better for this application.