Railroad Forums 

• An EMD's most distinguishable sound?

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#143100  by emd_SD_60

Do any EMD's have a really familiar sound, like the GE's have their familiar chug-chug-chug sound? The only thing I can think so far is their "whine" sound (esp. on the SD40's) and their deep, throaty sound. Anyone else have an idea?

#143102  by UPRR engineer

The whine for sure buddy, some 40's are way worse than others. Some nights when i was the midnight hog the yardmaster would say, "think you woke up about half the town pulling that cut up."

#143107  by ANDY117

That is by far the most identifying sound of an SD40-2.

#143487  by mxdata

A great deal of the distinguishing sound of 40-Series EMD locomotives is the turbocharger compressor impeller. Due to the design of the turbocharger, the filter rack, and the central air compartment, that noise tends to be projected forward. If a couple vanes on the impeller get nicked by foreign material, it can set up a siren effect that makes it seem even louder.

#143613  by MEC407

All turbocharged EMDs have that distinctive whine, although it does seem a bit more noticable in GP40s, SD40s, etc. Up here in Guilford country I've always seen lots of GP35s, SD26s and SD45s, and those units definitely whine with the best of 'em.

Personally I think the sound of a turbocharged 645 locomotive -- the whine coupled with the intense bass rumble that you can feel in your chest -- is the best sound of any locomotive to date.

I enjoy the chugging and barking of an old GE, but there's something about hearing a big lashup of GP40s coming toward me in 8th notch that really gets my heart pounding like nothing else.

#143676  by trainiac

MEC407, I agree with you totally on the sound of the GP40's. I love the "whine"! It's certainly a distinguishing EMD feature. It's not just on the turbocharged units, though--they just have the loudest whine because they have 3 fans. 38's will whine, but usually more quietly. The loudness also depends on how many fans are actually turning--a 40 series unit may not whine at all, even in run 8, if it's really cold out and no fans are running (heard this before).

I live by the SLR, and just up the track from my place is a short section of 1% grade. They use road slugs on it (with GP40 or GP40X rebuilds as the mothers) and they usually are down to 10 mph at the crest of the grade, in run-8. The roar they make is spectacular, and unmistakably EMD. Here are two such slug sets, with their roaring turbocharged 645's and whining fans. This is the sound that comes to my mind when I think of EMD's.

http://trainiax.0catch.com/slrapr1005-805.wav

Of note in the recording above: The second unit has two different "whines". This is because there is a mixture of fans with 8 and 9 blades.

Another unmistakable EMD sound is the chugging of 567 engines, especially 4-stack rebuilds. A few years ago the SLR had a GP11 that was commonly used in over-the-road freights. Talk about more noise than power! Here's a recording of an M420W, a GP40, the GP11, and a second GP40 (under an rpm restriction)--guess which unit is noisier than all the rest!

http://trainiax.0catch.com/slrsept2000-1m3e.wav

More: http://trainiax.0catch.com/merecordings.htm

#143679  by MEC407

Yeah, those GP11s definitely had a unique sound... kinda reminds me of a helicopter. :wink:

I probably should have been more specific; when I refer to the EMD "whine," I'm also thinking of the "whistle" sound that comes from the turbo, which is definitely not something you hear from a GP38 or other non-turbo EMD loco. Compare the sound of a GP40 at idle on a cold day, to that of a GP38 at idle on a cold day, and you'll definitely hear the difference, even though the radiator fans on both units may not be moving (or barely moving).

#144171  by emd_SD_60

I think the SD70's have the distinct "whine" too, as plenty of the UP SD70M's i've caught had it. :wink: I must say another distinctive EMD sound is when they throttle up. And the high bass rumble of a 710 as they approach you. Mmm-hmm! :-D

#144204  by jmp883

MEC407 wrote:
Personally I think the sound of a turbocharged 645 locomotive -- the whine coupled with the intense bass rumble that you can feel in your chest -- is the best sound of any locomotive to date.

I enjoy the chugging and barking of an old GE, but there's something about hearing a big lashup of GP40s coming toward me in 8th notch that really gets my heart pounding like nothing else.
I agree. However the best sound I ever heard coming from an EMD was not from the prime mover, but from the horns. Metro-North FL-9's had 5 chime horns that were absolutely the sweetest sounding horns ever. You could be on either side of the Hudson River and when they blew those horns you'd hear the initial blast, then a very melodic echo as the sound traveled across the valley.

If you have the Pentrex video, Along The Hudson Division, you'll hear those horns several times throughout the tape. The scene at Manitou, NY is the best though. Perfect horn blast...perfect echo!

Well now that I've rambled off-topic............ :-D

#144255  by Typewriters

In the 70's and 80's, we used to see lots of trains from the Rapid station parking lot in Brook Park, Ohio. (Some shots taken there are on my site.)

One of the most memorable things was the sound of oncoming trains on the main reverberating underneath the highway bridges. Even with that, though, you could always pick out the un-Godly howl of SD-45 or SDP-45 units on the fast, through trains. A sound like no other, and one to inspire awe. If you were lucky, there'd be three or four on one train. Easily distinguishable from any GP/SD 35 or 40 units you also often saw (along with GP-30's) long before you could actually see the units.

Sure wish I'd thought to record that sound.

-Will Davis

#144277  by mxdata

The construction of the 16 cylinder and the 20 cylinder turbochargers for E3 engines is quite similar. The 20 cylinder has a little larger compressor diffuser area and with the greater exhaust flow it is able to wind up to considerably higher RPM in the top throttle notches. This contributes significantly to the difference in sound, both in amplitude and frequency.

#144519  by emd_SD_60

trainiac wrote:Another unmistakable EMD sound is the chugging of 567 engines, especially 4-stack rebuilds. A few years ago the SLR had a GP11 that was commonly used in over-the-road freights. Talk about more noise than power! Here's a recording of an M420W, a GP40, the GP11, and a second GP40 (under an rpm restriction)--guess which unit is noisier than all the rest!

http://trainiax.0catch.com/slrsept2000-1m3e.wav

More: http://trainiax.0catch.com/merecordings.htm
I was listening to the one with CN 5359 and 5418, and talk about fantastic! Two 645's cranking it out in 8 and doing 60.
http://trainiax.0catch.com/cnjuly062003-5359.wav

Now about those Paducahbuilt GP10-11's, they sure do sound like a helicopter! Those same locomotives roamed the IC rails (and later, the Chicago Central)back in the 80's and 90's, and if I was old enough to be in trains, I probably would have been awed by the Geeps' GE imitation! Now here's a pic of a GP11 from a Yahoo group i'm a member of:

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/g_11818 ... CBWyy3q0t7

I'm sure when the photographer took that, he was treated to the 8130's engine noise! :-D

#144700  by trainiac

Yeah, I like that CN recording. The fastest freight train I've recorded.

About the GP11's sounding like helicopters--couldn't agree more! Someone actually mistook a GP11 for a helicopter in one of my recordings! This one, actually--LLPX GP38-2 2232 and SLR GP11 8749 in run 8. (2232 also has a blasty Nathan M3H horn, which has since been replaced)

http://trainiax.0catch.com/slroct2000.wav

Gosh, I love that GP11...

Here's another one of my favourite EMD sounds (well, I like them all...) Halfway between the chugging Paducah Geeps and the deep 40's are the 38's--a few years ago SLR leased a fleet of ex-LIRR GP38-2's, freshly rebuilt, from LLPX. Those had perhaps the "cleanest" sound of any units I've heard--I think their reliability was bulletproof and they were in excellent general condition. They always ran in perfect harmony and sounded identical as they passed. Here are 4 of them...

http://trainiax.0catch.com/slrapr152001.wav

As for the 40's, there's more than one whine that they make. There's the fan whine which can usually be heard when they're close, but there's another whine, which can be heard for much greater distances. It's slightly higher pitched and a less sharp sound. You can hear it for most of the recording below, but the whine of the fans can only be heard once the units pass. I don't know what this other whine is--maybe the traction motor blower?

http://trainiax.0catch.com/slrmar1405-3806.wav

By the way, this recording is of SLR GP40M-3 3806 with a road slug and a GP40, crawling upgrade at 10 mph--slow enough that the oscillating ditch lights stopped flashing between the first and second whistle blasts!
The construction of the 16 cylinder and the 20 cylinder turbochargers for E3 engines is quite similar. The 20 cylinder has a little larger compressor diffuser area and with the greater exhaust flow it is able to wind up to considerably higher RPM in the top throttle notches. This contributes significantly to the difference in sound, both in amplitude and frequency.
I don't think the RPM of the 20-cylinder is different from the 645--both "standard" versions max out at 900 rpm, while the tweaked versions run at 950 rpm. Having said that, it's true that the sound is quite different--and it's because of the number of cylinders. With 25% more cylinders in the 20-cylinder version, it should create a pitch 25% higher than a 16-cylinder engine at the same rpm--which is, in fact, the case. I've never heard a 20-cylinder 645 in person, but I have heard a recording--a cool sounding engine indeed! It also makes sense that 20 cylinders would make more noise than 16.
Metro-North FL-9's had 5 chime horns that were absolutely the sweetest sounding horns ever. You could be on either side of the Hudson River and when they blew those horns you'd hear the initial blast, then a very melodic echo as the sound traveled across the valley.
The FL9's used to have Hancock 4700 air whistles that imitated the sound of a steam engine, that were later replaced by the (now commonplace) Nathan K5LA. The K5LA is particularly melodious when in tune!
I probably should have been more specific; when I refer to the EMD "whine," I'm also thinking of the "whistle" sound that comes from the turbo, which is definitely not something you hear from a GP38 or other non-turbo EMD loco.
Right on! I like the whistle, a defining sound of any turbocharged loco.
 #144994  by n01jd1

emd_SD_60 wrote:Do any EMD's have a really familiar sound, like the GE's have their familiar chug-chug-chug sound? The only thing I can think so far is their "whine" sound (esp. on the SD40's) and their deep, throaty sound. Anyone else have an idea?
Actually there are two distinct sounds to EMD the whine from the turbocharger or if the locomotive is non turbocharged the whine from the roots blower.

#145009  by MEC407

trainiac wrote:Right on! I like the whistle, a defining sound of any turbocharged loco.
How come GEs and Alcos, which are turbocharged, don't have the loud whistling sound that EMDs have? I realize we're comparing a 2-cycle engine to 4-cycle engines, but you said it's a defining sound of any turbo loco, and whenever I've seen/heard GEs and Alcos in action, I've never noticed any of the whistling/whining associated with EMDs.

I always assumed it was something about the specific type of turbo used in EMD engines.