Railroad Forums 

• F69PH-ACs

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#8288  by BN7151

Does anyone know what ever became of the old Amtrak 450-451 F69PH-ACs? I am told they are either being or have been dismantled for parts.

#8293  by DutchRailnut

they are stored at MPI I believe in Boise

#8996  by Bryanjones

The units are not at MPI. They are owned by National Railway Equipment and are stored at their facility in Mount Vernon,Illinois. Have seen them there peronally.

Bryan Jones

#9018  by DutchRailnut

ok from a new york perspective "close but no cigar" the units are not scrapped however :D :D
Do you know what " national Railway equipment " intends to do with them ? I understand one unit was B/O when they were taken of the ICE tour.

#9053  by BN7151

I would imagine that they would be, if not already, taken apart and stripped for parts. If you ask me, 450 should be in the Smithsonian.

#9078  by DutchRailnut

Why should 450 be in museum ?? as what is this an example of our industy or railroads ?
it was not first AC unit in North America, that was a Canadian Alco model refitted with AC propulsion.
It would not be first passenger AC locomotive cause F40 222 was rebuilt to AC traction years before ?? so why ??

#9130  by Railpac

Yes, but wasn't it the first production AC locomotive? In the sence that it was built with AC motors, and was intended to be an AC locomotive from the start. And that Canadian ALCO, its actualy a MLW locomotive, an M-640, which was also the first 4000 hp locomotive in North America, powered with a hulking 18 cyl. 251F.
 #9915  by trainlover

Can Anyone tell me where I can Buy GP 40 Air horns
 #9999  by Phil Hom

trainlover wrote:Can Anyone tell me where I can Buy GP 40 Air horns
You may get better results if you post this message in the classified "Wanted". :wink:

#10432  by BN7151

I say they should be in the Institution for these reasons:
1. They were the first "built-as" AC locomotives.
2. They were the first production AC locomotives.
3. They provided invaluable data to EMD about the AC system.
4. They logged millions of miles in revenue service for Amtrak.
5. Without them, we would probably not have the SD--MACs of today.
6. They were the forerunners to the first successful production freight A.C. locomotive, the SD60MAC (which should also be in there)

I hope that gives you enough reason to put them where they can be seen and admired.

#10816  by crazy_nip

they, along with the SD60MAC's were not productin locomotives

they were prototypes

#10822  by DutchRailnut

plus they were built with German technologie the europeans used for years before someone here finaly tried it.
the locomotives were frame built and engine built by EMD but everything else was Siemens same as the FL9ac's, and the Amtraks had an even shorter life line :-)
 #10899  by Allen Hazen

What amazes me is how slow the U.S. rail industry was in adopting AC traction motors! I think the first experimental diesel locomotive with variable-frequency AC tms was a British testbed (Brush-BR 10800, "Hawk") in the mid-1960s, and that there was a successful German prototype in the late 1970s. No later than the early 1980s I recall reading an article in "Railway Age" saying both U.S. builders were investigating the technology; GE (with experience from using AC motors for transit cars) was thought to be ahead, and the Santa Fe was named as a railroad particularly interested (because of the maintenance advantages). Despite which the first EMD prototype-- the F69-- didn't hit the rails until 1989, with the first freight prototype-- SD60MAC-- not until 1991.
(And maybe it was true that GE was closer to ready with the technology: they were delivering pre-production AC44 to CSX -- with GE-built electrical systems -- within months of the time that EMD started delivering production SD70MAC with imported electricals.)

#11262  by BN7151

DutchRailnut wrote:plus they were built with German technologie the europeans used for years before someone here finaly tried it.
What I mean is that they were the first in North America, not the first in the world. (Unless I'm wrong about that too.)
crazy_nip wrote:they, along with the SD60MAC's were not productin locomotives
Can't argue with you, I must be wrong there.

My point is, they were influential on North American railroading to a degree perhaps only matched by Jay Street Connecting No. 4.

#11299  by EDM5970

I'm not saying that the F69s don't deserve to be preserved, but I have to question a few things mentioned by BN7151. I think that there would have been SD--MAC freight locomotives without the F69s; something else would have been the first prototype ACs.

And did they really rack up "millions of miles" in Amtrak revenue service? I seem to recall that they bounced around between EMD and Amtrak, lots of little bugs, lots of fine tuning, and that they were retired somewhat early, although that may be because they were a prototype, in a sea of F40s. Later, they got cleaned up and used to pull the X2000 around on non-electrified track, when the X2000 was on tour. (Or was it the ICE? Too long ago-)

Again, not to take anything away from them- And I have to re-read up on Jay Street 4, but I still feel (as do many others, I'm sure) that CNJ 1000 was the most influential North American diesel-electric.