Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1510385  by gaspeamtrak

Hello all>
I have a couple of questions I need help on?
I have roomette 8 booked in car 38 on train 14 going to Halifax and roomette 8 in car 39 on train 15 coming back to Montreal.
Can anybody please tell me if these rooms are towards the center of the car or over the wheels?
I requested to be as close to the "Park Car " as possible, am I?
Now I have to go to the "Amtrak Unlimited Website" and read 'NS VIA FAN" ocean mileage run!!!
Thank you for the inspiration sir to do this trip and a personal reason to!!! :):):)
Thank you to all who answer my questions... :-D :-D :-D
 #1510386  by CarterB

Chateau sleeper diagram here: http://extratrainstuff.blogspot.com/201 ... mette.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roomette 8 is about as close to center car as you can get for a roomette, good position.

According to http://www.canadianrailwayobservations. ... er/via.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Via Rail's "Chateau" series sleeping cars have 8 duplex roomettes, meaning they are more compact than the regular roomettes that are found in Via Rail's "Manor" series sleeping cars. The Park Car is now Car 40 (it used to be 39), and the last sleeper is Car 39, with the numbers descending as you move forward. The first sleeper will always be Car 30.
Last edited by CarterB on Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1510404  by gaspeamtrak

I 'm going to Montreal on train 64 and returning on train 65 on my Halifax trip and am wondering what the consist of these trains are???
Really curious as to what the business cars are, LRC or Stainless steel Hep 1's and are they 2-1 seating or are 2-2 seating???
Thank you for any info... :-D :-D :-D
 #1510406  by Ken V

Both trains 64 and 65 usually have LRC consists which means the business class car would have 2+1 seating. In the rare case that the consist or just the business class car is substituted with HEP 2 then it's likely there will be 2+2 seating although at least one HEP 2 business car has been upgraded to 2+1.
 #1510408  by gaspeamtrak

Ken V wrote:Both trains 64 and 65 usually have LRC consists which means the business class car would have 2+1 seating. In the rare case that the consist or just the business class car is substituted with HEP 2 then it's likely there will be 2+2 seating although at least one HEP 2 business car has been upgraded to 2+1.
Train # 64 . Looks like I have "12A window Forward Facing seat. It must be a "Hep 2 car I guess.???
Train # 65 is showing "10S Facing forward seat. Must be and LRC CAR???
I will let you know in about two weeks when I go...
Thank you for the info...:):):)
 #1510411  by Ken V

gaspeamtrak wrote:Train # 64 . Looks like I have "12A window Forward Facing seat. It must be a "Hep 2 car I guess.???
If it's a "forward facing" seat then it will almost assuredly be LRC since few HEP 2's have been converted to 50/50.
 #1510482  by marquisofmississauga

Roomette (or I should say cabin for 1) #8 is an upper duplex roomette and as such is much bigger than the the lower ones. The disadvantage of the upper roomettes is that it has two steep steps to get into it. It can be a bit trickty to lower and raise the bed because there is no cut-away of the bed as in the Manor roomettes. Unless one is very thin, it is necessary to open the door and hang on to a railing to avoid falling down the steps while performing this manoeuvre. When I was younger I didn't mind, but at my age it is a bit risky. The lower roomettes, being ridiculously tiny, are also out of the question even though it is easier to handle the bed. So that means I will no longer book a roomette in a Chateau sleeper.
 #1510483  by marquisofmississauga

Ken V wrote:If it's a "forward facing" seat then it will almost assuredly be LRC since few HEP 2's have been converted to 50/50.
I had a recent trip on a HEP-2 VIA-1 car. Our seats were 11A and B and marked "forward facing seat". Of course in these un-renovated cars all seats face forward except for one double in each of the two four-seaters.

On another train - an LRC Business Class car - we had seats 5A and B and these were marked as "forward facing seats". In those LRC 50-50 cars row 5 is rear-facing unless the car is being operated in the reverse of its usual. As it turned out this was one of the "push-pull" trains with a loco at each end. The Business car was at the end of the train for the direction we were travelling.