Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1485742  by NeoArashi

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/11 ... seil-bande" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry, article is in french.

Basically, a 8 years old child was on the tracks on the railway bridge in Wemotaci, Quebec. (That bridge has a pedestrian passage, so while the kid WAS on the tracks, it's usually perfectly legal and safe to cross it on foot), when VIA Train #603 hit the child.

The child was severly wounded, but did not die on impact. Local auhorities, as well as the Suretée du Québec (Quebec's provincial police) was dispatched on site. VIA Rail employees confirmed that the 603 was involved in the incident. At the moment of impact, there were 16 passengers and 3 crew members in the train.

The Suretée du Quebec and CN's inspectors already started to investigate. CN Owns the tracks in the area.

The 603 was obviously heavily deleayed due to the accident.

I wasn't born in Wemotaci, but my mother (and most of my mother's familly) comes from there, so this shocked me quite a bit. My mother has not confirmed if the child was from our familly or not, though.
 #1485822  by mdvle

Appears if my Google search is correct that they rail bridge has had a pedestrian bridge attached to the side of it.

Looking at this updated story the picture of the memorial appears to be on the pedestrian portion, with the train portion through the chain link fencing https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/11 ... enquete-sq

The scrolling gallery at the top of this tourism(?) site appears to show the bridge from a better angle - but also sadly but unsurprisingly is a picture taken standing in the middle of the tracks http://www.tourismehautemauricie.com/la ... utochtones
 #1485923  by ExCon90

According to the report on mdvle's first link, a group of about 5 children had congregated on the bridge (doesn't say which part) after school when the train came through shortly before 4 pm and one of them wasn't able to get out of the way in time--so apparently they were all on the track and thus not using the proper pedestrian facilities. But then they're eight years old ...
 #1486031  by MACTRAXX

NA and Everyone:

Sad topic about this tragic accident in Wemotaci,QC

I looked at the pictures of the truss bridge and found the walkway setup alongside the track to be interesting...

Standing out to me is the picture of the memorial on the bridge WITH A HOLE CUT INTO THE FENCE clearly visible in the background...

What needs to be done on this bridge is replacing all of the chain-link fencing with either mini-link or another more secure fence type to deter
trespassers especially now in the wake of this incident...

MACTRAXX
 #1486306  by Mark0f0

MACTRAXX wrote: What needs to be done on this bridge is replacing all of the chain-link fencing with either mini-link or another more secure fence type to deter
trespassers especially now in the wake of this incident...
Its basically impossible to secure rail infrastructure in such a way. Kids who are intent on being unsafe will just find a way around any possible fence that could be erected.

The answer is education, and if intelligence indicates a need, enforcement.
 #1486337  by MACTRAXX

Mark: Total agreement there...Secure the bridge better if possible along with trespass enforcement...
Does anyone have further photos - especially of or by the walkways of the Wemotaci truss bridge?
MACTRAXX
 #1489122  by NeoArashi

MACTRAXX wrote:Mark: Total agreement there...Secure the bridge better if possible along with trespass enforcement...
Does anyone have further photos - especially of or by the walkways of the Wemotaci truss bridge?
MACTRAXX
The only photo I have is a photo of my brother standing on the bridge. So it would likely be pointless if I posted it here.

And it would be hard to prevent people from crossing the bridge.

1-It has a pedestrian passageway. The kid had no business on the tracks, but the fact is, it's still possible to cross completely legally and safely.

2-If you intend on leaving town via the south, there are only 2 bridges as the southern limit of the town is cut through the St-Maurice river, and that's one of them. Obviously, someone leaving trhough that bridge won't get far, as this IS a pedestrian passageway, but I doubt the inhabitants would be happy with cutting access to one of the exit point of teh bridge. In fact, if that DOES happen, people will likely take risks and cross the bridge on the tracks, likely leading to more scidents.
 #1489448  by MACTRAXX

NA: You misread my post about the Wemotaci Bridge...

What has to be done on the bridge is secure the fencing between the pedestrian walkway and
the track to prohibit trespassers from being able to get on the track and also secure both of the
approaches on either side to block any trespassing from either end off of the walkway.

What is the speed limit on this bridge for passenger and freight trains?

Installing new fencing - along with some surveillance - should be enough to keep this walkway
open and accessible instead of closing it permanently as a result of this accident...

MACTRAXX