Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1439139  by timberley

NeoArashi wrote: I would agree if I didn't have paid for inssurance. But isn't insurance exactly for stuff like that, since they tend to compensate anyways when it IS their fault.
Did you pay for the travel insurance that Porter offers through RBC? Because if that's what you did, it's RBC that you need to take issue with, not Porter. I don't know the fine details of the policy, but it does seem odd that they wouldn't cover you in a case like that. If it was some other insurance, then it's that company's issue. In any case, Porter is not an insurance provider...

Sometimes it seems to depend on the circumstances (and sometimes who, and how, you ask) as to what gets done. I had a flight with Porter last winter that got cancelled, and I got rebooked for the next day and sent home in a snowstorm. A friend of mine had the same situation, also with Porter, just a few weeks later, and they put her up at the airport hotel because she raised concerns about the safety of making it home in the storm. These were both flights out of Halifax. So it seems to depend...
 #1439173  by NeoArashi

timberley wrote:
NeoArashi wrote: I would agree if I didn't have paid for inssurance. But isn't insurance exactly for stuff like that, since they tend to compensate anyways when it IS their fault.
Did you pay for the travel insurance that Porter offers through RBC? Because if that's what you did, it's RBC that you need to take issue with, not Porter. I don't know the fine details of the policy, but it does seem odd that they wouldn't cover you in a case like that. If it was some other insurance, then it's that company's issue. In any case, Porter is not an insurance provider...

Sometimes it seems to depend on the circumstances (and sometimes who, and how, you ask) as to what gets done.I had a flight with Porter last winter that got cancelled, and I got rebooked for the next day and sent home in a snowstorm. A friend of mine had the same situation, also with Porter, just a few weeks later, and they put her up at the airport hotel because she raised concerns about the safety of making it home in the storm. These were both flights out of Halifax. So it seems to depend...
The bolded part is basically what happened to me, except I couldn't be sent home, I was already at my connecting flight city.

About the travel insurance, I really don't remember, I'll be honest (booked the trip in august of last year for a trip to november)... So maybe it was actually my fault.

Still regardless of if I was in the wrong or not, I still think I got a much better service with whatevwr company my GF flew with. Thanks to you though, I'm not gonna be bitter toward Porter.. at least for now ;)

Anyways, we're getting off-topic now, lol. Thanks for clearing all that up. Now gonna have to look at my other topic.
 #1439206  by timberley

NeoArashi wrote: The bolded part is basically what happened to me, except I couldn't be sent home, I was already at my connecting flight city.

About the travel insurance, I really don't remember, I'll be honest (booked the trip in august of last year for a trip to november)... So maybe it was actually my fault.

Still regardless of if I was in the wrong or not, I still think I got a much better service with whatevwr company my GF flew with. Thanks to you though, I'm not gonna be bitter toward Porter.. at least for now ;)

Anyways, we're getting off-topic now, lol. Thanks for clearing all that up. Now gonna have to look at my other topic.
No worries, just trying to provide some context :) As I've mentioned in various threads, I've had some great experiences with VIA when things go wrong, and some less than stellar ones (e.g. last year I got stuck in Toronto after a VIA delay caused me to miss my connecting train, and with no other train option that could get me to Montreal on time to connect with the Ocean, I was literally told "try your luck with the Porter"...long story....), and I've seen people swear off ever taking the train again even when VIA really couldn't have done anything else (and heck, even when they've gone out of their way to compensate). Likewise with the airlines - sometimes they do things that are legitimately poor customer service and deserve the flack, and sometimes they can't do a whole lot about the situation. That context is always useful to keep everything in perspective.

But yeah, this is diverging from the topic quite a bit! Back to the trains: please do post if you have any more questions, and I hope all your travels go well! :)