Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1400395  by Amtrak7

From the Q2 Financial Report:
In order to offer this more flexible schedule, we optimized our cycling by introducing Push-Pull consists using our new 50/50 cars. These consists, used primarily on the Toronto – Ottawa cycle, allow us to reallocate our fleet to offer more frequencies without needing additional equipment. Together, the new car configurations and schedule also give VIA Rail more flexibility for future scheduling improvements.
I wasn't aware of VIA having cab cars? What equipment are they using?
 #1400509  by Ken V

Amtrak7 wrote:I wasn't aware of VIA having cab cars? What equipment are they using?
VIA is using locomotives at both ends for the push-pull operations.
 #1400511  by Amtrak7

electricron wrote:Which page of that 62 page pdf had the quoted passage? Which coach cars have the new 50/50 split?
Page 11, and I'm not sure about the 50/50 split either.
 #1400592  by NH2060

Sounds like combining two sets of equipment back to back so they can be easily split up to form other consists on other trains i.e. F40-LRC-LRC-LRC-LRC-LRC-HEP2-HEP2-HEP2-HEP2-HEP2-F40.
 #1401722  by R36 Combine Coach

Amtrak7 wrote:I wasn't aware of VIA having cab cars? What equipment are they using?
If only LRC diesels could have been converted to NPCUs.
 #1402991  by dowlingm

I've often had the same thought re the LRC locomotives, although to my mind it would have been better to make them APCUs which would have relieved the P42s of the need to provide HEP. But it also needed VIA to get past the aversion to 50/50 running. hopefully this is just an interim step until we get Brightline type trainsets or similar!