Article on VIA Canadian and Schedule question

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

Westernstar1

Article on VIA Canadian and Schedule question

Post by Westernstar1 »

I thought the following interesting.

https://is.gd/Tp9gYB

I can understand how keeping track of time, on the train, can be confusing if you aren't aware of time zones especially if you rely on smart phone times when crossing into a new time zone.

I had a problem with cellphone operation on the Coast Starlight from Eugene to Klamath Falls, so I can imagine such problems on the "Canadian".
For photography and a longer stay in Jasper, I think she should have taken the journey during one of the peak summer months. I was in Banff a few years ago, during the last week of May. It was 33 degrees and snowing.

Overall, I think the article was pretty positive. How do VIA trains serve such good food? Maybe Amtrak should ask this question.

I am thinking, one of these summers, of a Vancouver to Edmonton trip. I tried to determine the schedule from the VIA website:

https://is.gd/5Kfoht

Where is the schedule or timetable? I finally realized you have to click on the "15:00 PT" to get the timetable. This is ridiculous. I think the Amtrak website is much easier to navigate.

WS

Ken V

Re: Article on VIA Canadian and Schedule question

Post by Ken V »

Westernstar1 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:48 pm
Where is the schedule or timetable? I finally realized you have to click on the "15:00 PT" to get the timetable. This is ridiculous. I think the Amtrak website is much easier to navigate.
The better way to find any schedule / timetable from the VIA website is to select "Plan your trip" and then "Schedules" from the home page (or most other pages) to get https://www.viarail.ca/en/plan-your-tri ... n-schedule. From there you can scroll down and select one of the Printable timetables (PDF format).
Ken V. Moderator: Most things Canadian.
Any time could be train time!

Westernstar1

Post by Westernstar1 »

Thanks, Ken, for the information. Yes, clicking on "Plan Your Trip" and then "Schedules" is a lot easier.

By the way, speaking of the "Canadian" schedule, there was a short article in "Railfan and Railroad" magazine with regard to the Canadian schedule, The short blurb said that the Canadian was going to return to a 3 times a week schedule, in both directions, from Toronto to Vancouver, this spring. I've not heard further, confirming news but I hope the schedule will return to 3X/week.

WS

Ken V

Post by Ken V »

Westernstar1 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:44 pm
By the way, speaking of the "Canadian" schedule, there was a short article in "Railfan and Railroad" magazine with regard to the Canadian schedule, The short blurb said that the Canadian was going to return to a 3 times a week schedule, in both directions, from Toronto to Vancouver, this spring. I've not heard further, confirming news but I hope the schedule will return to 3X/week.
Unfortunately plans can change. VIA has announced it will be repeating the same pattern as last spring/summer: twice a week Vancouver <-> Toronto plus once a week Vancouver <-> Edmonton.

Tadman

Post by Tadman »

Westernstar1 wrote:
I thought the following interesting.

https://is.gd/Tp9gYB

I can understand how keeping track of time, on the train, can be confusing if you aren't aware of time zones especially if you rely on smart phone times when crossing into a new time zone.

I had a problem with cellphone operation on the Coast Starlight from Eugene to Klamath Falls, so I can imagine such problems on the "Canadian".
I do recall there being some dead spots. But oddly enough, almost the entire Alaska Marine Highway was in good service for AT&T, Seattle-Juneau. Go figure...

Westernstar1 wrote:
Agreed, Amtrak's site is far better than Via. Amtrak's is one of the best for passenger trains. I like it better than DB and equal with NS (Dutch) International for comprehensiveness.
Dig the new rr.net Instagram account: @railroad_dot_net

NS VIA FAN

Post by NS VIA FAN »

Tadman wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:05 pm
Westernstar1 wrote:
Agreed, Amtrak's site is far better than Via. Amtrak's is one of the best for passenger trains. I like it better than DB and equal with NS (Dutch) International for comprehensiveness.
I don't know what Westernstar's problem was but it's all right there: Top of page 'Plan your Trip'.....then 'Schedules' and you can pick a .PDF of the complete timetable or individual routes.

I've had problems finding things on Amtrak's site......where VIA's site is easy-peasy. Guess it's all in what you are used to!!

Return to “Canadian Passenger Operations: AMT, Go Transit, VIA, etc.”