Railroad Forums 

• Old Snapshot Missouri Pacific Baby Eagle

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1059379  by Nile

My grandfather worked for the Missouri Pacific and whenever a town/city that Missouri Pacific is promient in would have a parade or celebration the railroad would supply a miniature Baby Eagle train complete with diesel engine, cars, observation car etc. to run in the parade. The train was made by the Missouri Pacific when there was true pride, not just money involved in the railroad. This picture was snapped by your truly when I was about 6-7 years old in Desoto, MO. where the huge car shops were located with a Brownie camera. The occasion was for the centennial parade. 1950-51. I don't see the engine in my mementos.
Attachments:
Railroad Missouri Pacific Baby Eagle Car.jpg
Railroad Missouri Pacific Baby Eagle Car.jpg (45.01 KiB) Viewed 4733 times
 #1059399  by mtuandrew

That is a fascinating car, Nile, and you're right that a lot of railroads (or other businesses) wouldn't even dream of devoting company materials and time to make a traveling parade float. Thanks for posting the picture!

Since this isn't really related to passenger rail except tangentially, I will move this to the Union Pacific forum, and consult with my fellow moderators on where this thread should end up.
 #1064385  by Nile

I dug through my old pictures and I found this second snapshot of the Baby Eagle. This one is the observation car. The 2 men standing in front of the car are my dad on the right and my grandfather on the left who worked all his life for the Missouri Pacific. This was taken in DeSoto, Missouri in 1953.
Attachments:
(102.65 KiB) Downloaded 4437 times