Railroad Forums 

• a question regarding dispatching...

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#795487  by PMGPE

...apologies if this has already been covered, but I searched this forum and come up empty.

Can anyone tell me how dispatchers and/or engineers enunciate road numbers? Is Union Pacific 4011 pronounced "union pacific four oh one one", or "U P four oh one one", or "union pacific forty eleven" or something else?

Thanks for any help you can provide me.

Peter

ps: I also posted this on the operations forum
 #795860  by doepack

For U.P. dispatchers, the normal protocol for road freights is "U.P. four zero one one" plus the direction of the train (east or west). Some dispatchers will also include the train's symbol after the locomotive number/direction combination.

In Metra commuter territory, dispatchers will usually just say "Metra XX", with XX being the two digit train number; with odd numbers being outbound trains from the city, while inbound trains are noted with even numbers. Once in awhile, when changing a track warrant, or copying an "XH" (crossing hazard) procedure, dispatchers will refer to Metra trains by their locomotive number (i.e., METX "123" west/east)...