Railroad Forums 

• Crew Change Locations

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#716261  by Jammer

Hey everybody - Does anyone know where the crew change locations are for the UP are in Wisconsin and Minnesota? I am looking at hiring on if the opportunity comes up, and want to know how far I would have to drive for work. Thanks.
 #717514  by WÖØD

good luck in finding the info, but honestly it might be a while before we hire again. but that just gives you time to find the info!
 #717693  by Jammer

Thanks for the reply. I have heard that from guys at CP and BNSF. Before I deployed overseas, BNSF was hiring 8 conductors out of LaCrosse, WI. I was hoping those would come back soon with the economy slowing turning up. I found a map of UP lines through WI, and saw that they werent that far from where I live, so I thought I would throw it out there to check the possibilities. Do you guys get any indication of when the traffic is going to pick up?
 #728838  by Engineer Spike

This may be a thread for the employment forum, but I will add my thoughts. Don't just look at the nearest home terminal. Look at how many other terminals are in the seniority district. In my 13 year career, I have been cut off many times. You mentioned La Crosse. You may get cut here, then you might go to either Galesburg or Aurora, IL. The second consideration is the average age of the men working there. If there are lots older guys, it may be good. You know that they will eventually retire. If the terminal has lots of young guys with tons of seniority, you may be near retirement yourself, before you hold a decent job.
My point is that you need a large seniority district. This gives you more options.
 #728884  by Jammer

ES,

thanks, I will probably move this over to the Employment Forum. When you do get cut, do you have the
"option" of moving to those other locations (Galesbur, Aurora) vs. not moving, or is there NO option and they move you anyway? I am 31, and when I applied for one of the 8 positions in LaCrosse, a friend of mine that works for CP said that was good, because if I did get hired on, I would most likely I would be one of the older ones and at least start out with a little seniority over some of those other guys. And for years and years I keep hearing about all these retirements coming down the pipeline, is that actually going to happen, or is it just people talking? Unfortunately, I would prefer not to have to move to find a bigger station, but I am well aware that is probably the best option. Do you work for BNSF? How do you like it? Thanks,