Railroad Forums 

• Last Shutdown of D&RGW 5371

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#704792  by slchub

I'm not sure. I just saw 5371 this morning at Roper on Amtrak #6 as we were headed to Grand Junction aboard UP1989 (the D&RGW motor) on the point of our train. I'll see what I can find out.
 #713762  by airman00

I can understand if an engine is being retired and sent to a musuem, fine. But why shut it down? Can't it go into the museum running? I mean when it gets to it's final destination then shut it down. After all it looks like that freight consist could've used that last engine. And furthermore what would've happened if along the way one of those UP engines broke down? One engine will be hard pressed to pull 90+ cars and two dead engines alone. They'd have to restart that 5371 to help out.

I say keep it running as long as possible and you always keep open the possibility of one day it being pressed back into service.