Railroad Forums 

• Mystery Loads On UP Freight

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#695415  by MaineEasternFL9

There seem to be many windmill parts being shipped by rail these days. Definitly some of the most intestesting freight to be seen although I have seen a photo of small commercial jets being shipped on large flatcars (without the wings of course).
 #713587  by HoggerKen

Yes, wind turbine towers. We are located next to a transfer terminal on the Iowa Nothern RR for N. Iowa and S. Minnesota wind turbines. We see trains almost every week, and single shipments a lot of the time. The Blades, turbines and hubs all get delievered to IANR by UP, and are unloaded and trucked to the work site, or stored for future projects. So big is their business, there is a defunct gas station on I-35 where turbines are being stored because their terminal has filled up. While blades and towers tend to stay in unit trains, single cars of turbines and hubs are common. I see we have more on the way. KRL 70980.