Railroad Forums 

• Seniority Swap To Ft. Worth Hub

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#662951  by Encoder2002

I will be on the AWTS board in a few weeks, and was looking for someone that is furloughed in the Ft. Worth hub that would like to swap. You are guarenteed 8 days a month pay with benefits on AWTS. Iam in the Salina Hub, Wichita,KS Salina,KS and Herington,KS. I have Conductor, and Engineer seniority.
 #663054  by slchub

Check with your local chairman on this one. You'll find that CMS will not release you to another hub (and vice-versa, release an engineer) through a "Swap" with another employee outside of your hub (since you state you are a fully-qualified engineer). If you only had your Conductor date then it would be much simpler. I looked into this issue while employed with the UP in the Salt Lake City Hub as a hogger. I finally left the UP and came over to Amtrak as a hogger so that I could obtain national seniority and transfer down south when need be.

I have enclosed a few e-mails (minus the actual e-mail address of those concerned when I checked into this issue with my local and the local in the Southern Region of the UP.

RE: Transfer
Thursday, July 6, 2006 3:45 PM
Cc: "'Charlie Rightnowar'" "Steve P. Wells"
Message contains attachments
Seniority Exchange Request .pdf (38KB)

Brother XXX XXX:

Attached in PDF format is copy of your letter dated June 29, 2006 which was received by WRGCA July 5, 2006 and where an inquiry is made pertaining to exchanging seniority with another engineer located in the Southeast, putting your family closer to Atlanta , GA to assist ill parents. Rule 114 of the WRGCA Schedule reflects the contractual right of two (2) engineers desiring to exchange engineer seniority dates. While the rule establishes this right, there is no demand obligation of the Carrier to successfully implement each request. Carrier may deny for various reasons it deems appropriate to support its decision. Nonetheless, we have implemented a number of seniority exchanges and/or seniority transfers, but Brother Gore is correct in that these are becoming more difficult to achieve, especially where an engineer applicant resides at a location experiencing manpower shortages. In the event you are able to find another engineer willing to exchange seniority with you, kindly advise so we can endeavor to reach a successful conclusion. Be forewarned that if and when Carrier reaches the point of a proposal, such general includes the obligation to take familiarization trips on your own time (no compensation), forfeiture of existing protective benefits such as New York Dock that you may be eligible to collect, passing of rules and related examinations, forfeiture of any prior rights benefits such as fireman’s seniority, etc., and establishment of new trainman’s seniority date co-effective with the successful completion of requirements to establish the engineer’s date at the new location. Guidelines include the requirement that seniority of both applicants cannot be more than five (5) years apart, an applicant cannot be a company manager, nor can one (1) of the applicants be near retirement age.

I hope this information helps you out a little. We will keep your letter on file and ask that you immediately contact Brother Rightnowar or myself when you find an engineer to exchange seniority with.

Tim Donnigan

Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 2:16 PM
To: 'XXX XXX'
Cc: Tim Donnigan; 'Charlie Rightnowar'
Subject: RE: Transfer

Brother ,

Please be aware that seniority swaps are extremely difficult to accomplish. I have been GC for 6 years and only accomplished one swap. That was done by a specific agreement addressing the engineers involved. It had to be ratified by both Divisions as well as all departments of UP (Service Unit, CMS, Labor Relations, etc). Any single entity in that process has veto power over the entire transaction (ie: if the respective superintendents don’t agree to the swap, it will not be done or if either Division does not agree it will not be done).

I am not trying to dash your hopes, just give you a realistic picture of what you are up against. Also UP has been extremely reluctant to transfer any engineers from one location to the other. I have had several requests but only accomplished one of those as well.

Good luck, you have some good men on your side with Brothers Donnigan and Rightnowar. They are both exceptional union men in my book but be aware you are climbing a steep hill.

Fraternally,

Gil Gore

Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 1:57 PM
To: Gil Gore
Subject: RE: Transfer

Brother Gore,

Thank you for your time and consideration. I have taken your advise and look forward to hearing from Brother Rightnowar and Brother Donnigan.

Kind regards,

XXX XXX

The correct BLET GC for that territory is Charlie Rightnowar. I have copied Charlie with this message for his information.

If you are talking about a seniority swap, you will need to find someone who is willing to swap and get approval from both Divisions involved before anything can be done regarding approaching the Carrier about a transfer agreement. I know that we have had problems in the past with Brother Hannah’s territory because his agreement requires to go to the bottom of the roster. That queered a deal we were working on to get an engineer from Ft. Worth to El Paso on a seniority swap. I would suggest checking with your BLET GC to be sure what agreements are in place on your property so that you can properly advise everyone who might be interested in possibly swapping.

Hoping you find this information helpful, I remain.

Fraternally,

Gil Gore

While we have no provision in the CBA for a "seniority swap", I am not opposed, due to the extreme circumstances. However, we must very careful, as I have been advised by former General Counsel HA Ross, that this type of arrangement can land you in the Courthouse very quickly.

I don't really know who can get him closer to Atlanta, GA. - Gil or I. I am willing to work to get this done, if possible.

Charlie

Brother,

The locations in red are on our GCA. The ones in black are on Brother Rightnowar’s committee. We have 4 hubs – DFW – Longview – San Antonio – Houston . Van Buren and Coffeyville KS are a non-hub seniority district.

You can review our hub agreements on our website at http://www.bleupsrgca.com and selecting the Agreements link at the top of the page. This will give you some idea of where your seniority would go to.

You can review Charlie’s agreements at http://www.bleupcrgca.com. His page is a duplicate of mine with his agreements in info on the page.

Hope this helps.

Good luck – no offense but you are going to need some.

Fraternally,

Gil Gore