Railroad Forums 

• Moffat tunnel train frequency/MOW work?

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#661555  by milwman

Went on a trip to Moffat tunnel Monday, returning tommorow (4/16). We were there for over three hours monday - 10:00 - 1:30 - not a single train. However - there was what appeared to be a ballast cleaning machine and a lot of hi-rail, and road driven activity. 4 different trucks came and went numerous times each. Also - the shutter on the tunnel never closed.

We returned several hours later - after a little gambling stop. 3 westbounds, one eastbound and a light engine movement westbound - TEN locos!

This leaves me wwith several questions:

1. What is the train frequency and when is the best time to view at Moffat tunnel?

2. Is there a maintenance project underway in this area?

3. The locos - are they helpers returning west? Do they let them "pile up" somewhere and run them back west? There is a short, sharp siding in Rollinsville - is this where helpers cut off?

I wish I had the download cable for our camera - I would post the pictures. If the thread is still alive Sunday I will do so then.
 #661606  by atsf sp

I went to the tunnel over the summer around 5 in the afternoon(give or take). I could not stay and watch but when I was there I drove down the line, California Zephyr Eastbound had a UP intermodal tied up and 4 UP coal trains. Go when the Zephyr goes through and the freights will come.