Railroad Forums 

• SP in Chatsworth CA

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#654449  by drewh

Forgive multiple postings in Western, UP, and CA Commuter but am hoping for a good response.

Does anyone know why the SP chose the circuitous route they did to cross the Sta Susanna mountains thru Chatsworth. I grew up in Chatsworth in the 70's and of course by then the area was pretty developped. But I'm sure when they built this the area was sparse. I know the grade would have been important but it seems they could have had a more direct route. Look at the below link to a hybrid photo map of the area. You can clearly see the RR and it seems rather than building a second tunnel (between the 2 parks) they could have sloped down to the valley thru what is now Chatsworth Park South and continued fairly straight down to Lassen St. The rest of the line thru the valley takes the most direct route from NW to SE so what was happening in Chatsworth at the time of building that caused the circuitous routing? Any insight appreciated.

http://maps.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTExNmI ... 6&q1=91311
 #656021  by John_Perkowski

As I look at multiple topo maps and airphotos, what comes to mind is that El Camino Real, the road connecting Mission San Fernando Rey de España and San Buenaventura, has to ascend and descend the Camarillo Grade. As a young person, I did US 101 in my 1964 Ford Econoline. I'd have downshifted to 1st to get up the last little bit of the grade.

The Santa Susanna Pass route has a far lesser grade, and really is the alternate western exit from the San Fernando Valley. I suspect it was a no-brainer for the SP surveyors and route engineers in the late 1800s and early 1900s when the Coast Route was developed.
 #660978  by drewh

Yes I completely agree that the Santa Susanna Pass was the best option. What I am curious about is why the RR has to come out of the pass, shift north, then east before heading south to hook up with the diagonal route that was chosen to traverse the valley. I really think they could have come out of the pass and headed directly into the diagonal routing. They might have had to build a trestle to conquer the grade, but it would have resulted in a shorter routing and saved an additional tunnel, so I'm sure it would have been cheaper.

As someone else suggested on another forum, perhaps it was a wealthy land owner that refused passage. Also after looking more closely at the aerial photos, there is an old wash which has been turned into a flood control channel. This was in the vicinity of Valley Circle Boul and Devonshire St which they would have had to cross. Perhaps the RR was aware and trying to stay clear of any potential flooding?