Railroad Forums 

• Specifics on the "Special" Observation Car

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#649021  by tgv1138

My son has a DVD from Pentex from the doubleheading of UP 844 & SP 4449. In that video when the train is out for the open public run, there is a very unconventional observation car taking up the rear. It has something that looks like a full plate glass window with a bunch of lights and cameras pointed aft. I've been looking everywhere on details and I am coming up with nothing. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

You can see pics of the inside of the care in the 3rd slideshow here... http://www.sp4449.com/03photos/featured ... index.html.
 #656044  by John_Perkowski

Yep, that's IDAHO. She's one of the 6DBR-Buffet Lounge cars built by P-S in 1955-6. When I get back to my copy of Barger UP Business Cars, I can give more info on her conversions. She was one of two IIRC cars NOT rebuilt to 11DBR.

What I found interesting is the other PV on that excursion looked like ARDEN!
 #656229  by westr

Actually the Idaho was built by ACF in 1949/50 as 12 roomette-4 double bedroom sleeper Western Mountain. It was rebuilt as 11 bedroom sleeper Sun Lane in 1965. (7 of Union Pacific's 10 City-series 5-bedroom-club cars were also rebuilt to 11 bedroom cars, but had a diffferent floor plan and were renamed in the Star-series. The other 3 were rebuilt as business cars and 2 are still in service as the open-platform cars Cheyenne & Feather River. I assume those are the cars you are thinking about, John.) It was rebuilt as the Idaho in 1980, and originally had three separate window panes with windshield wipers. It was rebuilt into its current state in the 1992. Union Pacific also has a similar car to the Idaho called the Fox River that came from C&NW, and BN rebuilt a full-dome into a similar car.

Idaho in Portland, May 12, 2007
Idaho in Centralia, WA, May 12, 2007
Fox River in Portland, September 1995
Fox River in Portland, September 1995
BN Glacier View, Kelso WA, September 23, 1995

The open-platform business car used on the 844-4449 runs was not the Arden but was the St. Louis. They do look very similar, as both were rebuilt in 1952 from identical streamlined coaches 5448 (St. Louis) and 5449 (Arden).

St. Louis in Portland, May 12, 2007

Sources: The Union Pacific Streamliners by Ranks & Kratville, Union Pacific - 1990 by Cockle & Withers and UtahRails.net
 #656385  by John_Perkowski

I've seen BNSF's dome several times, since I now live on the Q mainline KC-Lincoln.

UP really did keep C&NWs track theater car?

I'm out of position, so I'll recheck Barger (UP Business Cars) when I get home.

Do you know if Mobile Lab 210 (ex 10 section, 2 compartment BALSAM RIVER) is still in service for the Road?
 #656546  by westr

Yes, Union Pacific still has the Fox River. There's a nice picture of it in UP colors here, and more here. My photos of it were taken when it was part of a #3985 special, right after the merger. That train also had C&NW's ex-Milwaukee full dome; probably the only tour UP used it on before they got rid of it.

I don't know about #210, which according to UtahRails.net and Union Pacific - 1990 was rebuilt from 10-1-1 sleeper Balsam Fir. UtahRails.net doesn't say anything about it being retired or sold, though that doesn't absolutely mean it hasn't been. The most recent photos I could find are here; they show it in Council Bluffs in 2005 and looking a little worse for wear. If UP still owns it, it doesn't appear to be seeing much use.
 #657723  by John_Perkowski

I really do need to look at what I write before I send it. Yeah, Balsam Fir :), not River. I thought it was 10-2, but 10-1-1 is right. I was out of position from my library.

You're also right on IDAHO's heritage.
 #657726  by John_Perkowski

By the way, my favorite car in the Executive Fleet is 104, now the NORTH PLATTE. In 1967, she was on the back end of the City of St Louis as I was travelling to my grandparents. Closest I've ever been to an operational PV in service.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=294570