Railroad Forums 

• new IM Yard in Chicago Area?

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#639939  by cifn2

Can anyone shed light on or help with rumors that have circulated for several years over the building of another IM yard to replace Yard Center which would be located further south out of Chicago? I had heard rumors about it when I was working for UP, but have never saw much media coverage or discussion on it. I did have a discussion with a couple of railfans, who had some information about it being further West?

Just inquiring.

Thanks for replies.
 #648306  by CG51

New intermodal yard? Last i knew they were going to build one out south of me near Crete IL off the old C&EI line (UP/CSX) main that runs up to Dolton IL. I have not heard anything in a while though!
 #648335  by cifn2

CG51 wrote:New intermodal yard? Last i knew they were going to build one out south of me near Crete IL off the old C&EI line (UP/CSX) main that runs up to Dolton IL. I have not heard anything in a while though!
Yeah that is about the area I was thinking I was told by some guys that worked for UP, it was supposed to be larger than Yard Center and take over as yard center.
 #656794  by Metra kid

The proposed yard has been shot down by the locals. So no new yard near Crete, but there is talk of building a Global 4 south of Joliet near BNSF's Logistics Park.