Railroad Forums 

• What are the city names on SP cabs for?

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#559408  by BM6569

I figured they are for cities the engines are based out of but wanted to be sure. For example, I just saw a picture of one that said Eugene (Oregon). Also, is there a list available that would show all of the cities that would have appeared on the cabs?

Thanks, Warren
 #559501  by GOLDEN-ARM

Do you loco cabs? If so, then you are correct. It's the maintainance base they were assigned to. Roseville under the cab meant that engine was assigned to the Roseville pool, and there where it was serviced, and based out of.
 #565868  by wigwagfan

BM6569 wrote:I figured they are for cities the engines are based out of but wanted to be sure. For example, I just saw a picture of one that said Eugene (Oregon). Also, is there a list available that would show all of the cities that would have appeared on the cabs?
I can tell you a few - Eugene (Oregon), Roseville, Los Angeles, Tucson, Houston - all come to mind. Pine Bluff would have been the assigned base for SSW units - however it appears that SP B36-7s were assigned to Pine Bluff as well.

These arrangements were done by either the late 1980s or early 1990s, so no D&GRW cities would have been stenciled; likewise the GP60s, SD70s, Dash 9-44CWs and AC4400CWs never had an assigned base. Looking at http://espee.railfan.net it doesn't appear that the Dash 8-40Bs (SSW) were stenciled either, but the B39-8s (SP) all appear to have been assigned to Los Angeles. I believe the 39s were delivered in 1987, with the 40s shortly thereafter.

The oldest photo I could find with the city stenciled on the cab was 1983. It should also be noted that Eugene no longer has any locomotive servicing facilities; the enginehouse was (sold? leased?) to Central Oregon & Pacific RR; the roundhouse was demolished within the last few years. Eugene is a shell of itself, with the hump and many tracks removed; the crew change point is now Oakridge. UP Albina (Portland) has an engine servicing facility as does Hinkle. Portland's enginehouse was demolished long ago and Portland was never a stenciled/assigned locomotive base.
 #566149  by doghouse

I can add one more city to the list, that being El Paso (TX). I also recall seeing these stenciled units as far back as the late "70's. These were whatever EMD units SP had at the time.
 #574131  by MEC407

A few years ago when Amtrak still had a few F40s on the roster as backup units, the AMTK 288 came to Maine on the Downeaster to fill in for a P40 that had some grade crossing damage. The 288 had "Los Angeles" written under the cab. Did SP do contract maintenance for Amtrak at their facilities in L.A., or does Amtrak have its own facility there?
 #635400  by wigwagfan

MEC407 wrote:Did SP do contract maintenance for Amtrak at their facilities in L.A., or does Amtrak have its own facility there?
Replying to an old message, I know, but Amtrak has their own loco shop at Redondo Junction (a former Santa Fe facility).

It is the "home base" for Amtrak's F59PHI fleet, so the Amtrak Cascades and Sound Transit units (which are maintained by Amtrak under contract) get sent there periodically; also P42 work as needed.

Amtrak has a minor facility in Seattle that does running repairs, but nothing major. It is mostly a passenger car shop for the Talgos and Sound Transit cars (again, maintained by Amtrak under contract) but also running repairs on the Superliners as needed.
 #635512  by MEC407

Thanks for the answer to my question. Better late than never. :wink:
 #640637  by SP7602

Here are some examples. Not sure if this list is complete
1.Eugene Image

2.RosevilleImage

3.Bay Area Image

4. El Paso Image

5. San Antonio Image

6. HustonImage

7. Los AngelesImage