Railroad Forums 

• UP in La Grande Oregon

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#292304  by ONE_TON

I am wondering about UP in La Grande. How are the working conditions.
I am getting out of the Military to get a job with UP, and would like any information about working the RR there in La Grande.

Thanks.

Bob

#292410  by Rockingham Racer

I used to live in Eugene. I can't tell you about working conditions, but I can tell you about conditions in general. Blue Mountains are to the west on the RR, high plains to the east. If you like camping, clean air, clean water, you'll like it in LaGrande.
Oh, and then there's the Pendleton Roundup once a year; this month? :-)
 #292655  by ONE_TON

Rockingham Racer,

Thanks for the reply. But I know all about the area. Pendleton is one of my old stomping grounds. Did two years of high school there!

I am looking for more of a responce on the working conditions, and overall life with the RR out of La Grande.
I have 2 years 4 months left with the Navy, and really want o get a job for UP in La Grande.

Bob

#292718  by GOLDEN-ARM

Hey Bob, welcome aboard. Not to "put the wind out of your sails", but Two Years Plus? That's a lifetime, in railroad terms. Two months is a stretch, trying to predict work, and then, it might not be easy. Finish your tour, or at least, wait till you get "short", like 30 days, and a wake-up, then try to find out. There were places two years ago, with good jobs, lots of guys working, lots of trackage, that don't exist today. Yards ripped out, traffic diverted to shorter/easier routes, large chunks of railroad leased off, to shortlines, etc. Two years is a lifetime........... :(
 #292773  by ONE_TON

GOLDEN-ARM,

Your not taking any wind. Time flys when your in the Military. And I mean quike. The last five years have been like a blink of an eye. 6 month deployments come and go. And the next thing you know its time to re-inlist or get out. So thinking and planing 2 years inadvance is not a life time. Planing is every thing. I have seen too many guys get out and end up working crud jobs, making crud money, with no benifits trying to hold them selfs and there familys together. 80% of the time its because they didnt have a plan. Our they didnt do reserch about what they were going to do with there plan. But plans are just that, plans. And they can change. But i dout in two years that UP will lease out or quit there run through eastern Oregon. The only thing that might be a problem is that there may not be any openings in that area in two years. But that is somthing out of my controll. But if I can find out every thing I can, in areas that i want to live and work, I will beable to make a more educated decision on what, and where I want to work. Two years is not a life time at all!

Thanks for the reply GOLDEN-ARM,

Bob

#292922  by GOLDEN-ARM

Just a thought, for you, One-Ton. There is another game in town, and spots might be available, when the class ones aren't hiring. Here is a posting, from the RRB website:

"Locomotive Engineer 09/30/06 182-6037 Idaho Northern & Pacific Railroad Company Nampa, ID & LeGrande, OR "

They also hire conductors, trainmen, from time to time. A good place to "learn the ropes", while waiting for the BIG call...... :wink:

Trust me on this one. The shorter you get, the longer the days get. My first three and a half years flew by. The last six months, seemed longer than the first three and a half!!!! The big carriers, will accept your application, then suddenly, contact you about where to be, next Monday, at 09:00. Unless you are able to go "awol" :P or have already terminated service, you are going to miss the call, then most places will make you wait, for six months, before considering you, again. It's great to have a plan, just be aware that the railroad runs on their own plan, and to this day, nobody has ever seen that plan, or knows someone who has...... :P

#292970  by SteelWheels21

One Ton,
Listen to Golden, for his advice is sage. For a practical answer to your question, La Grande is basically a crew change point, you'll go either to Hinkle Yard outside of Hermiston or to Nampa, ID (I think). Lots of rugged terrain, helper units, etc. They do have a small yard and I'm sure a little industry work but I would guess the majority of it is through freight. Probably decent money, not sure how fast their pool turns.

UP does like military and ex-miltary guys, so you have an advantage over the average joe. It's a shame that your hitch isn't up now because they are hiring like crazy throughout the system.
 #293081  by ONE_TON

GOLDEN-ARM,

Thanks for the info on Idaho Northern & Pacific. If you dont mind me asking, what branch of the military were you in?

SteelWheels21,

I know La Grande is pritty much just a crew change, and that the main yards are Hinkle, and Nampa in that area. Just looking on some info from some one who works out of there.
This month would be the end of my 5 year contract. I would be getting out! But I signed a extension of service for Flight Engineer School. But I never went, but the extension went active. Other wise I would be getting out this month. Hopefully there will still be a need for people in two years.
On UP's web site they only have about 100 less positions than 2 1/2 years ago.

Thanks guys for your replys!

Bob

#293166  by GOLDEN-ARM

One Ton, I did my tour, in the Army, 82nd Airborne Division, Ft. Bragg, N.C. This was back in the late 70's, and like you are desiring, I went from the career of jumping out of planes, to riding in trains. The former was much more exciting, the latter, much better paying. Regards :wink:
 #350927  by EEjack

I worked the hinkle yard at Hermiston for 3 years back in the 90's...left there in '95. Unless you have seniority, you probably won't be able to hold La Grande for several (10 or so ) years. You will be on the bottom of the roster, so you can look for a long stay in the hinkle yard as a switchman. I was there 3 years and would have been forced to do 7 or 8 years in the yard if I had stayed. Then, when you finally get enough whiskers to hold La Grande, it will be on the La Grande to Hinkle run, which is a 96 mile run and doesn't pay much more than a switchman gets in the hinkle yard. They don't run much in the way of helpers anymore, rather they throw a DP unit in the middle and on the rear to get the trains over the Blues now. After you get 15 to 20 years in, then you will be able to hold the La Grande to Nampa Run, which is really the only job that pays much out of La Grande. Since I left Hinkle, there was a merger with the SP, and I believe there is a run out of Hinkle now, to Spokane Washington, but that would be out of Hermiston area not La Grande.

#351298  by Sandman

They are currently forcing people from where I'm at over to Nampa to work. Heck, I might be over there in a few months. All that could change in a few years though.

#361223  by bluesman

One Ton,
Sorry I did not see your post months ago! I am not a rail but do know several UPRR trainmen here at La Grande. Most have seniority that lets them hold jobs they want. However, things are changing. UP has hired a lot of guys here in the last 18 months that are holding conductor jobs in the west pool. True, if things slow down they are first bumped and can even end up furloughed. But business has been pretty steady and for the short term there does seem to be work for all hired. I am aware of signalmen/MW being hired here too.
Lots or retirements coming along in the next 5-8 years.
La Grande is the "home terminal" in the area. Spokane and Portland are the others. Attrition is taking out what is left of the Nampa home terminal crewmen. AFAIK.
Bluesman
 #361307  by ONE_TON

well lets hope UP will still be hiring out for La Grande in 1 year 10 months. thats where i wanna be. thanks bluesman for the reply. i will be out your way in April. cant wait tosee the all the contry agian. its been two years.

thanks agian, Rob
 #722818  by lakeshoredave

i've heard hinkle has a lot of railroad cops so the railfans stay out of the yard. as for working there, i think its pretty darn good because its out in oregon and away from the busiest spot of the union pacific around north platte, cheyenne, etc. i think that is a fairly good spot for the up. a scenic route and plus they use dpu helpers on the heavier trains out there to get over the tough grades.